For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Utah House of Representatives, District 49|
|January 16, 2014|
|Years in position||1|
|Per diem||$95/day (lodging) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Colorado Mesa University|
|Master's||University of Utah|
Spendlove worked for Governor Gary Herbert as the Deputy for State and Federal Relations. He worked for the state from 1999 to 2014. Spendlove worked as the policy director and director of federal relations at Utah Governor's Office, chief economist and state demographer at State of Utah, and as a research analyst at Utah Governor's Office of Planning and Budget.
Spendlove's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Economic Development and Job Creation
- Excerpt: "As an economist I have spent most of my career focused on strengthening Utah’s economy and positioning our state for success. The best way to grow an economy is for government to give businesses the tools to succeed and then get out of their way."
- Excerpt: "Without a well-educated population nothing else is possible. This year in the legislature we were able to increase per student funding by $62.5 million and add an extra $65 million for growth in our student population. I will continue to focus on education as a priority with the goals of empowering parents, teachers, and students."
- Excerpt: "The framers of our Constitution intended for the majority of powers to be at the state level, not at the federal level. However, ever since the passage of the national income tax in 1913 the power has shifted away from the states and towards the federal government."
- Excerpt: "I sponsored and passed the Concurrent Resolution to Protect State Funds, which calls on Congress to allow states to withhold and redirect federal income tax funds when a state refuses federal funding on programs. I will continue the push to ensure that powers are returned to states, where they belong."
- Excerpt: "I have led the fight to overturn Obamacare and to define the “replace” model in “repeal and replace.” We need to develop a strong healthcare strategy that will continue to help those in need while moving the balance of power away from the federal government and toward state control."
- Excerpt: "I am proud to have co-sponsored or supported each of the air quality bills that passed during the past legislative session. I will continue working on these important issues. However, the government should focus more on education and encouragement rather than regulation and punishment when it comes to air quality."
Elections for the office of Utah House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 20, 2014. Zach Robinson defeated Mark Quigley in the Democratic convention. Incumbent Robert Spendlove was unopposed in the Republican convention. Spendlove defeated Robinson in the general election.
|Utah House of Representatives District 49, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Robert Spendlove Incumbent||56.9%||6,575|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Planned Parenthood Action Council: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on legislation related to women’s health, access to reproductive health care and education.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills picked by Sutherland that promote conservative policy.
- Parents for Choice in Education: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on the issue of education.
- Utah Sierra Club: 2013/2014 Legislative Scorecards
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to environmental and conservation issues.
- Utah Taxpayers Association: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Utah Taxpayers Association: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on taxpayer related bills.
- Utahns Against Common Core: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills relating to Common Core reforms.
- Legislators are scored based on their votes in relation to the organization's "mission to defend individual liberty, private property and free enterprise."
In 2014, Spendlove's endorsements include the following:
Spendlove is married and has four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Robert + Spendlove + Utah + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Utah State Legislature
- Utah House of Representatives
- Utah House of Representatives Committees
- Utah Joint Committees
- Utah House of Representatives District 49
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Utah State House
- Robert Spendlove on Facebook
- Robert Spendlove on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Robert Spendlove on LinkedIn
- Utah State Legislature
- Utah Secretary of State
- Desert News, "Salt Lake County Republicans fill two seats in special election," January 10, 2014
- utah.gov, "Utah Governor Gary Herbert," accessed January 10, 2014
- Linkedin, "Robert Spendlove," accessed January 10, 2014
- Robert Spendlove Utah, "Issues," accessed October 5, 2014
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "2014 Candidate Filings," accessed March 22, 2014
- Robert Spendlove Utah, "Endorsements," accessed October 5, 2014
Derek Brown (R)
|Utah House of Representatives District 49
| Succeeded by|