Robert Tallinger and Stephen Smart recall, Town of Waukesha, Wisconsin (2010)
At the time of the recall vote, Tallinger had been in office for 21 years and Smart for 15 years.
Recall organizer Angie Van Scyoc was elected to replace Tallinger. Recall organizer Joe Banske was elected to replace Smart.
A group called "Concerned Citizens of the Town of Waukesha" led the recall effort. They said that Tallinger and Smart did not act in the best interest of the Town of Waukesha when they voted to divide land that has been identified by the city of Waukesha for future well sites. That vote paves the way for the City of Waukesha to drill shallow wells near the Vernon Marsh.
The land at stake was land near the Vernon Marsh. The controversial vote of Waukesha's town supervisors that led to their eventual recall was a vote to approve selling some land near Vernon Marsh to the state's Department of Natural Resources, as well as selling several acres to the City of Waukesha. The City of Waukesha intends to use the land it was sold to drill wells. Residents in the Town of Waukesha who were unhappy with the land sale say that Tallinger and Smart, in selling the land, failed to properly protect the future water supply of Town of Waukesha residents.
Robert Tallinger recall election results:
- Votes to keep Tallinger: 318
- Votes to recall Tallinger and replace him with Angie Van Scyoc: 1,114
- Votes to recall Tallinger and replace him with Patricia Bartlett: 244
Stephen Smart recall election results:
- Votes to keep Smart: 419
- Votes to recall Smart and replace him with Joe Banske: 949
- Votes to recall Smart and replace him with Curt Bauer: 275
- Journal Sentinel Online, "Town of Waukesha recall organizers elected," July 14, 2010
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, "Town of Waukesha group collects signatures for recall," May 5, 2010
- Waukesha Freeman, "Clock ticking in town of Waukesha recall review," June 4, 2010
- WUMN, "Flurry of Recall Attempts Underway in Southeastern Wisconsin," July 13, 2010
- WTAQ, "Water Politics Causing Recall Elections Near Waukesha," July 6, 2010