Rockingham County Public Schools, Virginia
|Rockingham County |
|Rockingham County, Virginia|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Carol Fenn|
|Number of schools:||23|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the districtRockingham County, Virginia. The county seat of Rockingham County is Harrisonburg. Rockingham County is home to 77,741 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Rockingham County underperformed compared to the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 23.4 percent of Rockingham County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.2 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Rockingham County was $52,195 compared to $63,907 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Rockingham County was 10.4 percent compared to 11.3 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current superintendent of Rockingham County Public Schools is Dr. Carol Fenn, who was appointed in March 2007. Fenn has previously worked as an elementary school teacher, assistant principal in an elementary school, elementary school and middle school principal, and several central office administrative positions.
The Rockingham County Public School Board is made up of five members selected by district.
|Rockingham County School Board|
|Dan Breeden||District 5||2015|
|Lowell Fulk||District 2||2015|
|Bob May||District 4||2015|
|Renee Reed||District 3||2017|
|LaDonna Shiflet||District 1||2017|
School board elections
Two seats on the Rockingham County Public School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those seats were for Districts 1 and 3, which were occupied by Anthony Slater and John J. Myers, Jr., respectively. Three seats will be up in November 2015 for Districts 2, 4 and 5.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Notes to the table below: Completion of half of the academic requirements for a Master's Degree is $1,060, $2,485 for a Master's Degree, $2,835 for a Master's Degree plus 15 hours, $4,010 for a Doctorate and $1,500 for a National Teacher Certificate. These amounts are in addition to the base salary.
|Rockingham County Public Schools Teacher Salary Scale 2013-2014|
|Years Experience||Base Salary ($)|
Schools in Rockingham County
Rockingham County Public Schools operates 23 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Rockingham County Public schools|
|Broadway High School|
|Cub Run Elementary School|
|Elkton Elementary School|
|Elkton Middle School|
|J. Frank Hillyard Middle School|
|Fulks Run Elementary School|
|Lacey Spring Elementary School|
|Linville-Edom Elementary School|
|McGaheysville Elementary School|
|Montevideo Middle School|
|Mountain View Elementary School|
|John C. Myers Elementary School|
|Ottobine Elementary School|
|Plains Elementary School|
|Peak View Elementary School|
|Pleasant Valley Elementary School|
|River Bend Elementary School|
|East Rockingham High School|
|Spotswood High School|
|South River Elementary School|
|Turner Ashby High School|
|John Wayland Elementary School|
|Wilbur S. Pence Middle School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Rockingham County Public Schools as having a student population of 11,946 and 22 schools in the division.
Rockingham County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Broadway High||9 – 12, PG||1,107||Yes|
|Cub Run Elementary||Pre-K - 5||602||Yes|
|East Rockingham High||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Elkton Elementary||Pre-K - 4||383||Yes|
|Elkton Middle||5 - 8||472||No|
|Fulks Run Elementary||Pre-K - 5||211||Yes|
|J. Frank Hillyard Middle||6 - 8||761||Yes|
|John C. Myers Elementary||Pre-K - 5||463||Yes|
|John W. Wayland Elementary||Pre-K - 5||567||Yes|
|Lacey Spring Elementary||Pre-K - 5||303||Yes|
|Linville-Edom Elementary||Pre-K – 5||211||Yes|
|McGaheysville Elementary||Pre-K – 5||348||Yes|
|Montevideo Middle||6 - 8||633||No|
|Mountain View Elementary||Pre-K - 5||543||No|
|Ottobine Elementary||Pre-K - 5||235||Yes|
|Peak View Elementary||Pre-K - 5||406||Yes|
|Plains Elementary||Pre-K - 5||495||Yes|
|Pleasant Valley Elementary||Pre-K - 5||277||Yes|
|River Bend Elementary||N/A||357||N/A – New School|
|South River Elementary||Pre-K - 5||406||Yes|
|Spotswood High||9 – 12, PG||1,355||Yes|
|Turner Ashby High||9 – 12, PG||1,116||Yes|
|Wilbur S. Pence Middle||6 – 8||695||No|
|Transparency grading process|
Last updated on July 22, 2010.
- The Rockingham County Public Schools 2010- 2011 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue, is available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- School board meeting schedule, minutes and agendas are posted.
- Academic performance information is available.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Rockbridge County School Board Policy Manual includes a Request for Public Records form. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Salary scale and benefits information is available.
- The School Board’s financial statements can be found in the Rockingham County Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- School board elections portal
- Rockingham County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Rockingham County Public Schools
- Rockingham County
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census Bureau, "Rockingham County, Virginia," accessed January 27, 2015
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Dr. Carol Fenn Will Be Rockingham's Superintendent Accessed September 24, 2013
- Rockingham County School Board Accessed September 24, 2013
- Rockingham County Public Schools, "Rockingham County Public Schools FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 5, 2013
- Rockingham County Public SChools, "RCPS Budget," accessed December 18, 2014
- Rockingham County Teacher Base Salaries 2013-2014" accessed September 25, 2013
- Schools and Offices Accessed September 25, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010 (dead link)
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Rockingham County Public Schools, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, RCPS Budget Information, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, School Board, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, SchoolBoardMeeting, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, RCPS Quick Facts, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, RCPS Policy Manual, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County Public Schools’, Human Resources, July 22, 2010
- ‘Rockingham County’, Finance, July 22, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010