Rockwall Independent School District, Texas
|Rockwall Independent School District|
|Number of schools:||19|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Christopher Cuny|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Rockwall ISD
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtRockwall County, Texas. The county seat of Rockwall County is Rockwall. The county's population was 78,337 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Rockwall County outperforms the rest of Texas in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 35.3% of Rockwall County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 26.3% rate for the state of Texas. Rockwall County had a median income of $82,725 in 2010 compared to $51,563 for Texas. The poverty rate for Rockwall County was 6.3% in 2010 compared to a 17.4% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Rockwall County (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||6.1||12.3|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.7||1.0|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.1||0.1|
|Two or More Races||1.7||1.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||16.4||38.2|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The superintendent of Rockwall Independent School District is Jeff Bailey, who was appointed to the position in the spring of 2009. Bailey has both his Bachelor's and Master's degrees from East Texas State University. Prior to this position, Bailey was serving as deputy superintendent of Plano Independent School District.
The Rockwall ISD Board of Trustees consists of seven members who are elected at-large to three-year terms. While candidates run for specific positions on the ballot, they represent the entire district.
|Rockwall ISD Board of Trustees|
|Member||Role||Place #||Term Ends|
|Christopher Cuny||President||Place 1||2015|
|Linda Mitchell Duran||Vice President||Place 3||2015|
|Leigh Plagens||Secretary||Place 6||2017|
|Stephanie Adams||Member||Place 7||2017|
|Jon Bailey||Member||Place 4||2016|
|Russ Childers||Member||Place 2||2015|
|Jim White||Member||Place 5||2016|
School board elections
Members of the Rockwall ISD Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms. Two were on the ballot on May 10, 2014; incumbents Leigh Plagens and Stephanie Adams were re-elected to Places 6 and 7, respectively. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2011:
As long as the requirements of the Open Meetings Act are satisfied and the right of citizens to apply to the Board for redress of their grievances is not abridged, the Board need not provide a public forum for every citizen wishing to express an opinion on a matter. Reasonable restraints on the number, length, and frequency of presentations are permissible. The Board may limit the number of persons it will hear on a particular subject and the frequency with which they may appear, so long as the regulation does not abridge constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of speech and to petition nor unfairly discriminate among views seeking expression. 
—Rockwall Independent School District's website, (2011), 
Rockwall Independent School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in Rockwall Independent School District earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. Teachers with a bachelor's degree and no experience start out earning a salary of $46,050 and can earn up to $50,470 with 15 years experience. Stipends of $1,500 are given to those with master's degrees and $1,000 to those with a doctorate.
Schools in Rockwall ISD
Rockwall Independent School District serves 14,072 students. Rockwall Independent School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Rockwall Independent School District operates 19 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Rockwall Independent School District Schools|
|Amy Parks Elementary School|
|Cain Middle School|
|Cullins Elementary School|
|Dobbs Elementary School|
|Hartman Elementary School|
|Hays Elementary School|
|Jones Elementary School|
|Nebbie Elementary School|
|Pullen Elementary School|
|Reinhardt Elementary School|
|Rochell Elementary School|
|Rockwall High School|
|Rockwall-Heath High School|
|Shannon Elementary School|
|Springer Elementary School|
|Stevenson Elementary School|
|Utley Middle School|
|Williams Middle School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Rockwall Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 99 percent of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,198||1,500||80||50|
- School board elections portal
- Rockwall Independent School District elections (2014)
- Texas school districts
- List of school districts in Texas
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Annual Financial Report," accessed December 6, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Rockwall County," accessed March 13, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Superintendent," accessed March 13, 2014
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Board of Trustees," accessed March 13, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Public Participation," May 11, 2011
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Teacher Salary Schedule," accessed March 13, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Rockwall ISD Schools," accessed March 13, 2014
- Rockwall Independent School District, "Accountability Summary 2013," accessed June 24, 2014