Rockwood School District elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Rockwood School District
St. Louis County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Three seats on the Rockwood School District school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Matt Doell, Keith Kinder and newcomer Dominque Paul defeated incumbent Darby Jo Arakelian and challenger Eileen Tyrrell for the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Rockwood School District, Missouri
St. Louis County outperforms the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 39.8% of St. Louis County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8% rate for the state of Missouri. St. Louis County had a median income of $58,485 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri. The poverty rate for St. Louis County was 8.3% in 2010 compared to a 10.5% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||St. Louis County (%)||Missouri (%)|
|Black or African American||23.6||11.6|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.2||0.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.1||0.1|
|Two or More Races||1.8||2.1|
|Hispanic or Latino||2.7||3.5|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Rockwood school board consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014 for three seats. Two seats will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 17, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 21, 2014 and the deadline for candidate certification was January 28, 2014.
- Darby Jo Arakelian
- Graduate, University of Denver and George Washington University
- Business development consultant
- Matt Doell
- Graduate, Missouri University of Science and Technology; University of Missouri at St. Louis
- Licensed professional engineer
- Keith Kinder
- Assistant professor, Maryville University
- Dominque Paul
- Graduate, Ohio State University
- Certified residential appraiser, Ashar Property Appraisals, LLC
- Eileen Tyrrell
- Co-founder, Rockwood Stakeholders for Real Solutions
|Rockwood School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Matt Doell Incumbent||25.9%||6,352|
|Nonpartisan||Keith Kinder Incumbent||25.4%||6,232|
|Nonpartisan||Darby Jo Arakelian Incumbent||12.2%||2,986|
|Source: St. Louis County, Missouri, "General Municipal Election Official Results," accessed June 20, 2014|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Rockwood school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Matt Doell, Keith Kinder and newcomer Dominque Paul defeated incumbent Darby Jo Arakelian and challenger Eileen Tyrrell for the three at-large seats.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Rockwood School District election in 2014:
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|December 24, 2013||First day for candidate filing (Kansas City)|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Final certification date|
|March 12, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Rockwood school board election shared the ballot with other municipal elections in St. Louis County.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rockwood + School + District + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rockwood School District, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- St. Louis County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: St. Louis County," accessed February 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed February 6, 2014
- Missouri National Education Administration, "Recommendations," accessed April 9, 2014
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed April 9, 2014
|2014 Rockwood School District Elections|
|St. Louis County, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Incumbent, Darby Jo Arakelian • Incumbent, Matt Doell • Incumbent, Keith Kinder • Dominque Paul • Eileen Tyrrell|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|