|West Virginia State Senate, District 1|
|December 26, 2012 – January 14, 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||December 26, 2012|
|Appointed by||Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin (D)|
|J.D.||Wake Forest University|
|Date of birth||March 5, 1979|
Fitzsimmons earned a bachelor's degree from Washington University. He then earned his law degree at Wake Forest University. Fitzsimmons is an attorney.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Fitzsimmons served on the following committees:
|West Virginia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking and Insurance, Vice Chair|
|• Enrolled Bills|
|• Transportation and Infrastructure|
|• Government Organization|
|• Joint Government Organization|
|• Joint Judiciary|
Elections for the office of West Virginia State Senate consisted of a primary election on May 13, 2014. The general election was on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 25, 2014. Incumbent Rocky Fitzsimmons was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Ryan Ferns was unopposed in the Republican primary. Ferns defeated Fitzsimmons in the general election.
|West Virginia State Senate District 1, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Rocky Fitzsimmons Incumbent||48.2%||12,821|
Fitzsimmons has served as chairman of the Ohio County Democratic Party.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the West Virginia State Legislature was in session from January 8 through March 10.
- Regenerate WV - House only
- Legislators are scored on their votes for or against Regenerate WV's position.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on lawsuit-related legislation.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on the Water Resources Protection Act and its amendments.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rocky + Fitzsimmons + West + Virginia + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia State Legislature
- West Virginia State Senate
- West Virginia Senate Committees
- West Virginia Joint Committees
- West Virginia State Senate District 1
- Profile from Open States
- Rocky Fitzsimmons on Facebook
- Rocky Fitzsimmons on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- The State Journal, "Tomblin names Rocky Fitzsimmons to Ohio Co. Senate vacancy," December 27, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed March 8, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed February 7, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 18, 2014
- The State Journal, "Rocky Fitzsimmons," accessed March 8, 2014
Orphy Klempa (D)
|West Virginia State Senate District 1
| Succeeded by|
Ryan Ferns (R)