For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board member, Bethlehem Area School District, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Associate's||Northampton Community College|
|Profession||Real estate agent|
Rogelio Ortiz holds the District 1 seat on the Bethlehem Area school board. He won election to the board on November 5, 2013.
Ortiz was born and raised in New York City. He moved to Pennsylvania with his wife and five children in 1999, where he attended Northampton Community College and passed that state exam to become a real estate agent. Since moving to Bethlehem, he worked with under-privilege kids in community sports and was part of PAL ( Police Athletic League). Ortiz has also taken an active role in after school programs, such as Boy Scouts and Basketball, and coach a local little league team. He is currently the president of the Lynnfield Tenant Council and Community Center.
Ortiz was unopposed in the election on November 5, 2013. The primary was held on May 21, 2013.
|Bethlehem Area School District, District 1 General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Lehigh County Election Results, "Bethlehem School District," accessed November 6, 2013|
|Bethlehem Area School District, Region 1Primary Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Lehigh County Election Results, "Bethlehem Area School District School Director Election 2013,"|
Ortiz reported no contributions or expenditures to the Lehigh County Voter Registration department.
Ortiz is focused his campaign on the following issues:
- Reducing class sizes
- Revamping the district's curriculum
- Increase the number of the district's reading specialists
- Develop a stronger early childhood education program for all children
- Creating more after school programs and expanding the community school program
- A return to fiscal discipline
What was at stake?
Five seats were up for re-election in 2013, including board president Michael Faccinetto and appointed member Shannon Patrick's region two seat. Patrick was appointed to the board in 2011 following fellow board member, Michael Cann's, win of both the at-large and region two seats. The region two seat will be up for election again in 2015. Board members Irene Follweiler, William Burkhardt and Aurea Ortiz all did not to seek re-election.
About the district
According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of residents with a high school degree (84.8%) is lower than the state of Pennsylvania (87.9%) while the percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher in is higher Bethlehem (27.1%) compared to the state overall (26.7%). The median household income in Bethlehem is $45,631 compared to Pennsylvania's statewide median of $51,651.
- Bethlehem Area School District, Pennsylvania
- Bethlehem Area School District elections (2013)
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Lehigh County, Pennsylvania ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Pennsylvania
- Rogelio Ortiz for School Board (dead link)
- Bethlehem Area School District
- Northampton County
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- "Roberto Ortiz for School Board," "Roberto Ortiz," accessed August 13, 2013 (dead link)]
- Lehigh County Voter Registration, "Campaign Filing Reports," accessed December 18, 2013
- "Rogelio Ortiz for School Board," "Issues," accessed August 13, 2013 (dead link)
- "Lehigh Valley," "Candidate withdraws from Bethlehem Area School Board region 1 race," accessed August 12, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Bethlehem," accessed August 8, 2013 (dead link)
- The New York TImes, "Election Results," accessed August 9, 2013