Romeo Community School Board recall, Michigan, 2010
An original notice of intent to recall was filed against 5 of the school board's 7 members in October 2009. The first recall petition was filed on October 20, 2009 by local resident Dan Knepp. Knepp's petition targets treasurer Greg Jacobson, vice-president Michael Stobak and secretary Jennifer White. A second recall effort, submitted by local resident David Peterson-Tousignant, was filed on October 26, 2009. The second petition targeted board members Sue Hier and Sara Murray. 
The Romeo Community School Board recall effort is one of several similar efforts in 2009-2010 started by union organizers to punish school board members who vote to privatize some school functions as a way to save district funds.
Jacobson, Stobak, White
Knepp, a local resident, filed 19 recall petitions against Jacobson, Stobak and White on October 20, 2009. One of the reasons listed on the recall petitions include disagreement with board members' recent votes on school district expenditures, for example, a vote to privatize custodial workers in the district.
Hier and Murray
There were a grand total of 19 petitions for an intent to recall. Of those 19, 10 were for Murray and 9 for Hier. Among the listed reasons in favor of a recall election were:
- a vote to close Croswell Elementary
- hiring "the most costly auditor"
- voting against "transparency" issues
According to Peterson-Tousignant, he was unaware of the previously filed recall petition against Jacobson, Stobak and White.
Path to the ballot
The approved petition language is valid for 180 days, however in order to force a recall election supporters must collect valid signatures within 90 of those days.
- Recall campaigns in Michigan
- Political recall efforts, 2010
- School board recalls
- Recalls in Michigan targeting school board members who vote for privatization
- The Detroit News,"Superintendent takes over Romeo schools amid school board recall," November 16, 2009
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy,"Recall Reversal of Fortune," October 30, 2009
- Romeo Observer, "Appeal for recall petitions denied"
- The Romeo Observer,"2 recall efforts target five on school board," October 28, 2009
- The Romeo Observer,"Three RCS board members may face recall," accessed December 9, 2009
- MEA Exposed, "Benton Harbor stands up for bullied school board members," March 10, 2010
- Detroit Free Press, "ROMEO: Judge approves recall petitions for circulation," April 23, 2010