|Florida House of Representatives District 120|
|1986 - 1994, 2006 - 2012|
|Minority Leader, Florida House of Representatives|
|2010 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida (1976)|
|Date of birth||October 30, 1954|
|Place of birth||Key West, Florida|
Saunders' professional experience includes working as an attorney and owning a restaurant.
He is a member of Elks Lodge #551, Florida Bar Young Lawyers Section Board of Governors, Chair of the Florida Keys Community College Board of Trustees, President of the Florida Keys Land and Sea Trust, President of the Key West Jaycees, Director of Community Service for the Key West Rotary Club and is a member of Mensa.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Saunders served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Saunders served on these committees:
- Full Appropriations Council on Education & Economic Development (Ranking Minority Member)
- Full Appropriations Council on General Government & Healthcare (Ranking Minority Member)
- Government Accountability Act Council
- Legislative Budget Commission Committee, Florida State Legislature
- Rules & Calendar Council
Saunders did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Saunders's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 95 - "Distribution of Proceeds from Excise Taxes on Documents: Removes limitation on amount of such proceeds to be deposited into State Housing Trust Fund each fiscal year; retroactively repeals conflicting version of statute."
- HB 99 - "Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles: Decreases fees & charges for reinstatement of driver license, certificates of title, registration of motor vehicle, license plates, validation decals, & mobile home stickers, initial registration application for certain vehicles, driver's license examinations, services & documents, driver's licenses, return of license suspended, & DUI program enrollment"
- HB 497 - "Transportation Facilities: Revises criteria for evaluation by DOT of certain public-private project proposals; provides that determination that project is in public's best interest be evidenced by business case prepared under specified provisions & submitted to Council on Efficient Government"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
|Florida State Senate, District 39 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|James Bush III||27.6%||8,478|
Saunders ran for re-election to the 120th District seat in 2010. He did not have any opposition in the August 24 primary. Saunders defeated Morgan McPherson (R) and Henry Llorella (Tea Party) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 120 |
2010 General election results
|Ron Saunders (D)||22,301||55.4%|
|Morgan McPherson (R)||15,718||39.0%|
|Henry Llorella (TEA)||2,233||5.5%|
In 2010, Saunders raised $283,886 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Florida Democratic Party||$19,125|
|Florida Hospital Association||$2,500|
Below are Saunders's top five campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Ron E Saunders||$22,353|
|FL Home Builders Assoc||$3,500|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,000|
|Real Property Probate & Trust Law Section of the FL Bar Assoc||$2,000|
|Dade County Classroom Teachers Assoc||$1,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ron + Saunders + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Ron Saunders on Facebook
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed December 30, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue positions," accessed December 30, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed April 15, 2012
- Florida Election Watch, "2010 Election results," accessed December 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed December 30, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 120
| Succeeded by|
Holly Merrill Raschein (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |