Avalos has been a resident of Aldine since two months of age and attended Aldine schools. After graduating from Sam Houston State University in 1972, she was hired as a teacher in Aldine ISD and remained there for 33 years. During her tenure, she also served as a counselor, program director, assistant principal and principal at Escamilla Intermediate School. She was named the district’s Principal of the Year in 2002 and 2003.
This election was canceled because all incumbents were running unopposed.
The November 2009 was canceled because all incumbents ran unopposed.
|Aldine Independent School District, Position 3, 2006|
|Nonpartisan||Art Murillo Incumbent||39.1%||539|
What was at stake?
One seat was up for special election on November 5 covering that of retired board member Marine Jones. Originally, the board was scheduled to have four seats up for election, however Positions 3, 4 and 5 were unopposed, so the board made the decision to cancel those elections.
About the districtHarris County, Texas. The county seat of Harris County is Houston. Harris County is home to 4,092,459 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Harris County overperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.1 percent of Harris County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Harris County was $53,160 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Harris County was 17.9 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" percentage, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off. Read more about race and ethnicity in the Census here.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rose + Avalos + Aldine + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- News Stories, "Aldine ISD Trustees cancel regular board election," accessed October 24, 2013
- Board Members Accessed August 29, 2013
- Nov. 3 AISD school board election canceled: Three unopposed incumbents to retain their seats Accessed August 29, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Harris County, Texas," accessed August 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Harris County," accessed December 31, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014