Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools
Dakota County, Minnesota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Minnesota
Three seats on the Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools school board were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Art Coulson, Gary Huusko and Mike Roseen defeated challenger Craig Angrimson to keep the three at-large seats.
About the districtDakota County, Minnesota. The county seat of Dakota County is Hastings, Minnesota. According to the 2010 United States Census, Dakota County is home to 405,088 residents.
Dakota County outperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Dakota County was $73,723 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Dakota County was 6.0% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.8% of Dakota County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 38.4% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan school board consists of seven members elected to four-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013.
Candidates began filing affidavits of candidacy on July 30. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 13.
|Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Mike Roseen Incumbent||30.1%||12,138|
|Nonpartisan||Gary Huusko Incumbent||26.3%||10,616|
|Nonpartisan||Art Coulson Incumbent||24.3%||9,811|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 196 - Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan," accessed December 18, 2013|
- IUOE local 49
- IUOE local 70
- Carpenters local 322
- IBEW local 110
- IAM LL459
- Teamsters local 120
Candidates received a total of $1,350.00 and spent a total of $1,669.19 during the election, according to the district office. State law does not require campaign finance reporting if contributions or expenditures do not exceed $750 in a calendar year.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Board Clerk Gary Huusko, Treasurer Art Coulson and fellow incumbent Mike Roseen sought and won re-election. They faced only one challenger, Craig Angrimson, for the three seats.
Since the 2009-10 school year, the Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan district administration has cut $34 million from its budget in response to a decline in the growth rate of state K-12 education funding. These cuts resulted in the loss of more than 200 staff and widespread pay freezes for remaining employees. Voters rejected a levy referendum in 2010 that would have increased local funding for Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan, which left the district reliant on its 2005 levy that expires in 2016. There was a new levy referendum on the November 5, 2013 ballot that would allow the district to maintain its current spending levels without requiring additional cuts, which passed. On September 9, 2013, the school board and the Dakota County United Educators union agreed to a new salary schedule for district employees that provides a two percent raise in each step of the salary schedule and an increase in the district's benefit contributions. The previous salary schedule had not been adjusted for four years due to the financial difficulties experienced by the district.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools election in 2013:
|July 30, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|August 13, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with other municipal elections and a school district referendum, which passed. This referendum replaced the district's existing levy at the current rate of $1,111.00 per pupil with a new rate of $1,486 per pupil, which will last for a ten year span. For the average homeowner in the community, this tax increase will cost approximately $56 more per year.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, Minnesota
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Dakota County, Minnesota ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Minnesota
- United States Census Bureau, "Dakota County, Minnesota," accessed October 15, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 15, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, "School Board," accessed October 15, 2013
- Dakota County, Minnesota, "Election Calendar," accessed October 15, 2013
- Vote for Craig Angrimson - District 196 School Board, "Endorsements," accessed October 22, 2013
- Information received in an email to Ballotpedia from district communications director Tony Taschner on February 11, 2014.
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Campaign Finance," accessed February 11, 2014
- Erin Adler, Star Tribune, "Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan district to ask for additional $10 million this fall," August 10, 2013
- Christopher Magan, TwinCities.com, "Teachers, nurses in Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan schools get raises," September 10, 2013
- Andrea Parrott, Eagan Patch, "District 196 Levy Referendum Passes," November 5, 2013
- Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, "Levy Q&A," accessed October 15, 2013