|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 51|
|1996 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||19|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 7, 1995|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||Delta State University|
|Master's||Jackson State University|
|Date of birth||May 4, 1937|
Straughter earned his B.A. from Delta State University, and M.B.A. and M.S. from Jackson State University. His professional experience includes working as an educator.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Straughter served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Conservation and Water Resources|
|• Fees and Salaries of Public Officers, Vice Chair|
|• Public Property|
|• Workforce Development|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Straughter served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Labor, Chair|
|• Fees and Salaries of Public Officers|
On November 8, 2011, Straughter won re-election to District 51 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He defeated Gary Farmer and Whitfield Harrington in the August 2 primary, and won the November 8 general election uncontested.
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 51 Democratic Primary, 2011|
|Rufus Straughter Incumbent||61.9%||3,460|
On November 6, 2007, Straughter was re-elected in District 51. He defeated Gary Farmer in the primary election, and ran unopposed in the general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 51 (2007)|
|Rufus Straughter (D)||5,303||100.0%|
In 2011, Straughter received $10,215 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Rufus Straughter's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi Association For Justice||$1,000|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$1,000|
|Hayes Dent Public Strategy||$600|
|Total Raised in 2011||$10,215|
|Total Votes received in 2011||5,561|
|Cost of each vote received||$1.84|
In 2007, Straughter collected $8,315 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Mississippi House Democratic Leadership||$2,000|
|Isle of Capri Casino||$500|
|Isle of Capri Casino||$500|
|Home Builders Association of Mississippi||$500|
|Lawyers Involved for Mississippi Betterment||$500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Straughter has been a member of the Elks, Haywood County Association of Educators, Mississippi Association of Education, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, National Education Association, and Omega Psi Phi.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Rufus + Straughter + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Straughter
- Associated Press, "Mississippi Primary Election Results," accessed August 3, 2011
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributions to Rufus Slaughter
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 51
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |