Russian River Fire Protection District parcel tax, Measure F (June 2010)
The Measure F parcel tax was based on the number of homes on a property. The rate varied depending on whether the land is residential, agricultural, industrial or commercial. Measure F adds $100 to the property tax bill on a single-family residence. The Measure F parcel tax was in addition to a parcel tax that has been in effect since 1982 that generates $220,000 each year. Measure F generates an additional $600,000 a year for the fire protection district.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for passage.
The annual expenses of the fire district were $1.7 million but in 2009, the district had only $1.3 million in revenue. The district receives $500,000 in property tax revenue, $600,000 in ambulance service fees and $220,000 from the existing parcel tax, which hadn't changed since 1982.
The Russian River Fire Protection District responded to about 1,500 calls every year.
Proposed tax chart
|Type of property||Current tax||Proposed tax|
|Multi-home parcels||?||$70 for each additional home|
|Business and industrial land||?||$350|
- These final, certified, election results are from the Sonoma County elections office.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Measure F: Shall Russian River Fire Protection District Ordinance No. 09/10-1 be approved, authorizing the District to impose and levy a new special tax having flat rates ranging from $70 to $350 per parcel (depending on use and subject to additional assessments for multiple residential units or uses per parcel), to assist in meeting the costs of providing authorized services and exercising other rights and powers of the District, and repealing the existing special tax (Ordinance No. 80-1)?|
About the fire district
The Russian River Fire District covered 18 square miles in the lower Russian River resort area in 2010. The district included about 5,000 permanent residents.
Frank Lambert was the president of the board of the fire protection district.
- Press Democrat, "Russian River fire makes new tax bid," January 2, 2010
- Press Democrat, "Russian River fire district tries again for parcel tax," May 24, 2010
- Press Democrat, "PD Editorial: Measure F," April 30, 2010
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Press Democrat, "Russian River fire tax set for June election," January 31, 2010