Ruth Ann Gaines
|Ruth Ann Gaines|
|Iowa House of Representatives District 32|
|January 10, 2011-Present|
|January 11, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Clarke College, 1969|
|Master's||University of California in Santa Barbara, 1970|
Gaines earned her B.A. in Drama and Speech from Clarke College and her M.A. in Dramatic Art from the University of California at Santa Barbara. Her professional experience includes teaching.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gaines served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Government Oversight|
|• Public Safety|
|• Veterans Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gaines served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Local Government|
|• Public Safety|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Ruth Ann Gaines was unopposed in the Democratic primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
Gaines ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 32. Gaines ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012 and defeated Joe Corbin in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 32, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Ruth Ann Gaines Incumbent||72.2%||8,073|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 65 General Election (2010)|
|Ruth Ann Gaines (D)||4,887|
|Gary L. Jordan (R)||2,358|
Comprehensive donor information for Gaines is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Gaines raised a total of $12,908 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Ruth Ann Gaines's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 32||$5,498|
|2010||Iowa State House, District 65||$7,410|
|Grand Total Raised||$12,908|
2012Gaines won re-election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Gaines raised a total of $5,498.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ruth Ann Gaines's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Hospital Association||$500|
|Central Iowa Building & Construction Trades Council||$500|
|Gaines, Ruth A||$270|
|Iowans For A Skilled Workforce||$250|
|Total Raised in 2012||$5,498|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Gaines raised $7,410 in contributions.
No contributions to her campaign were of $1,000 or more.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ruth + Gaines + Iowa + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 32
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa House of Representatives - Rep. Ruth Ann Gaines
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Gaines, Ruth Ann," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Steven Lukan (R)
|Iowa House of Representatives District 32
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa House of Representatives District 65
| Succeeded by|
Tyler Olson (D)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |