|Arkansas State Senate District 3|
|State Senate Minority Leader|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Bachelor's||Hendrix College (1958)|
|Birthday||December 13, 1936|
|Place of birth||Blytheville, Arkansas|
Whitaker is a former Alderman of the City of Cedarville. She worked as a Secretary for the Arkansas State Republican Party from 1992 to 1994.
Whitaker earned her B.A. from Hendrix College in 1958. Her professional experience includes working as a political advisor and a community activist.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Whitaker served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Claims
- Insurance and Commerce Committee, Arkansas State Senate
- Judiciary Committee, Arkansas State Senate, Vice Chair
- Joint Performance Review Committee, Arkansas Assembly
- Senate Rules, Resolutions and Memorials Committee, Arkansas State Senate, Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Whitaker served on these committees:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development
- Judiciary Committee, Arkansas State Senate
- Senate Rules, Resolutions and Memorials Committee, Arkansas State Senate
Whitaker raised $31,243 for her campaign.
Whitaker raised no money in the 2010 election cycle.
In 2008, Whitaker collected $31,243 in donations.
Her four largest contributors in 2008 were:
|Friedkin Business Services||$2,000|
|Rural Arkansas Telecommunications||$2,000|
|Arkansas Healthcare Association||$2,000|
Arkansas’s Freedom Scorecard
The Advance Arkansas Institute, an Arkansas-based nonprofit research and educational organization, released "Arkansas's Freedom Scorecard" in 2012 and 2013. The scorecard seeks to show how Arkansas legislators voted on the principles the Institute seeks to promote. It measures each state legislator in six categories, which include economic freedom, education reform, good government, personal liberty, small government and tax/budget policy. Scores range from the highest score (100%) to the lowest (0%). A higher score indicates that the legislator voted more in favor of the values supported by the Institute. Whitaker received a score of 81% in the 2012 scorecard, ranking 12th out of 34 members of the Arkansas State Senate that were evaluated for the study.
Whitaker is a widow. She has two children and two grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Ruth + Whitaker + Arkansas + Senate" Ruth Whitaker News Feed
- Arkansas State Legislature
- Arkansas State Senate
- Arkansas Senate Committees
- Arkansas state legislative districts
- Official Arkansas State Senate website of Senator Ruth Whitaker
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart biography of Senator Ruth Whitaker
- Campaign Contributions: 2008 2006 2004 2002 2000
- VoteNaturally.org, "2008 general election results, Arkansas," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "Arkansas Senate spending, 2008," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed December 3, 2014
- Advance Arkansas Institute, "Arkansas’s Freedom Scorecard 2012," accessed January 14, 2014
|Arkansas State Senate District 3
| Succeeded by|
Cecile Bledsoe (R)