North Carolina State Senate, District 23
Hilliard ran in the 2010 election for North Carolina State Senate District 23. Hilliard defeated Jon Bass in the Republican primary election on May 4, 2010, and was defeated by Eleanor Kinnaird in the general election on November 2, 2010.  
|North Carolina State Senate Republican Primary, District 23 (2010)|
Hilliard's website talks about the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Ryan knows how important job creation is to all North Carolinians. Putting North Carolina back on track will be Ryan's top priority."
- Excerpt: "Lower taxes empower people to have greater control over their everyday lives. Who can spend your money better, you or politicians in Raleigh? Ryan believes you can."
- Excerpt: "Companies and people create jobs, not government. Cutting spending will allow us to lower taxes and still operate a balanced budget."
- Excerpt: "It is time to reduce regulation that serves no tangible purpose, and unleash business to grow and flourish."
- Health Care
- Excerpt:"Enact tort reform to reduce legal abuse that leads to higher insurance costs.
- Push for malpractice reform for doctors, which will lead to a reduction in "defensive" care and ultimately lower insurance costs.
- Better, lower cost insurance options that come from increased competition, tort reform, and better protections for doctors."
- Excerpt: "Our tax dollars should go to providing students with the very best education, not needless bureaucracy, social engineering, or a political agenda."
- Excerpt: "The Declaration of Independence decrees our right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." There is no mention in the U.S. Constitution or North Carolina Constitution of a right to abortion."
- Excerpt: "there is a delicate balance that must be struck between protecting the environment and having government over-regulate business and private property."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "Keeping and bearing arms is a constitutional right. Any effort to infringe or limit this right for law abiding citizens is just as unconstitutional as limiting other rights such as the right to free speech."
- Ryan Hilliard's official campaign website
- North Carolina Department of Elections
- Official Project Vote Smart Bio