Sabrina S. McKenna
|Sabrina S. McKenna|
|Hawaii Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Neil Abercrombie|
|Past post:||Judge, O`ahu First Circuit Court, Hawaii|
|Past post 2:||District Judge|
|Past term 2:||1993-1995|
|Born:||October 7, 1957|
|Undergraduate:||University of Hawaii, Manoa|
|Law School:||University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson Law School, 1982|
Sabrina S. McKenna is an associate justice of the five member Hawaii Supreme Court. She was appointed to the court on January 25, 2011 by Governor Neil Abercrombie. The nomination was unanimously confirmed by the Hawaii Senate in February 2011. Her current term expires in 2021.
McKenna spent her early legal career in private practice. She also taught as an assistant professor at the University of Hawai'i Law School. On November 30, 1993, she became a District Judge, where she served until joining the O'ahu First Circuit in 1995. In 2011, she was appointed and confirmed to the Hawaii Supreme Court.
Court of Appeals nomination
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. McKenna received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -0.85, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of -0.29 that justices received in Hawaii. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- Judges of the O'ahu First Circuit
- Governor of the State of Hawai'i, Press Release: "Governor Abercrombie Names Judge McKenna to State Supreme Court," January 25, 2011
- Star Advertiser, "McKenna confirmed for high court," February 17, 2011
- Star Advertiser, "McKenna is named to state's high court," January 26, 2011
- Governor's Press Release "Governor Abercrombie Names Judge McKenna to State Supreme Court ," Jan 25, 2011
- Official biography of Judge McKenna
- Pacific Business News "Appeals, circuit judge nominees named," January 22, 2010
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Ronald Moon • Steven Levinson • Simeon Acoba • James E. Duffy, Jr. •|