|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 53|
|June 2013 - Present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||June 11, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Massachusetts Military Academy|
|Service/branch||Connecticut Army National Guard|
Belsito's victory in the June 11, 2013 special election to replace retiring Democrat Bryan Hurlburt was noted nationally, since it was the first time a Republican had been elected to the District 53 seat in Connecticut for 40 years, since the presidency of Richard Nixon.
Elections for the office of Connecticut House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. Rick Field was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Sam Belsito was unopposed in the Republican primary. Field will face Belsito in the general election.
Belsito won election in the special election for Connecticut House of Representatives District 53. The seat was vacant following Rep. Bryan Hurlburt's (D) resignation on April 16, 2013 to take a position in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farm Services Bureau.. Belsito defeated Anthony J. Horn (D) in the special election, which took place on June 11.
|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 53, Special Election, 2013|
|Democratic||Anthony J. Horn||41.5%||1,356|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "issues important to Connecticut's working men and women."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key environmental bills."
Belsito is the owner of Samuel Ltd., Tux King, a tuxedo and men’s clothing store in Vernon.
- Connecticut House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Connecticut State Legislature
- Connecticut state legislative districts
- Journal Inquirer, "Voters put Republican in 53rd House seat for first time in 40 years," June 12, 2013
- Slate, "Did Colorado's Liberal Experiment Pave the Way for Gov. Tancredo?," June 14, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed July 15, 2014
- journalinquirer, "June 11 special election to fill Hurlburt’s House vacancy," April 27, 2013
- connecticut.cbslocal.com, "Special Election Tuesday In Tolland, Willington, Ashford," accessed June 10, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 17, 2014
Bryan Hurlburt (D)
|Connecticut State House District 53
| Succeeded by|
State of Connecticut
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of the State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utility Control |