For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
San Diego Preference in Hiring Veterans, Measure C (June 2010)
|Voting on Labor and Unions|
|Not on ballot|
San Diego city council member Todd Gloria was the primary sponsor of Measure C, and the San Diego City Council unanimously approved a motion to place it on the June ballot in early February 2010.
The city's previous policy excluded service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Now that Measure C has been enacted, eligibility has been expanded to all veterans serving in any war, major military action or peacekeeping mission, provided they were honorably discharged.
Specifics of the measure are that it:
- Included a broader definition of time of service, including any “war, major military action, or peacekeeping mission."
- Added a 5% credit for any veteran who has a service related disability of at least 15%
- Brought the total preference credit for qualifying veterans to 10% for city jobs.
- These final, certified results are from the Sand Diego County elections office.
- Councilwoman Marti Emerald said, "We’ve got the largest group of returning veterans from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is the least we can do for these men and women who have served our nation."
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall the Charter be amended to extend eligibility for veterans' preference points in any original Civil Service examination to veterans who have served in the United States Armed Forces during any war, major military action or peacekeeping mission, and to provide an additional five percent credit for any veteran or the spouse of any veteran who has a qualifying service-related disability?|
- Full text of Proposition C
- List of local ballot propositions on the June 8 ballot in San Diego County
- Election results
- San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, "Veterans jobs initiative approved for June ballot," February 3, 2010
- East County Magazine, "SD Council approves ballot measure to help veterans," February 2010
- Smart Voter San Diego County election archive
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.