San Diego Union-Tribune
California. The result of a February 2, 1992, merger of The San Diego Union, founded October 10, 1868, and the Evening Tribune, founded December 2, 1895, it refers to itself as the oldest business in San Diego County and the second-oldest newspaper in Southern California. The website Signonsandiego.com republishes much of the Union-Tribune's content as well as publishing its own material. The Union-Tribune and Signonsandiego.com are separate businesses with separate staff.
- 2006 National Reporting: The San Diego Union-Tribune and Copley News Service (with notable work by Marcus Stern and Jerry Kammer), for their disclosure of bribe-taking that sent former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham to prison "in disgrace". They also received the George Polk Award for these stories.
- 1987 Commentary: San Diego Evening Tribune editorial writer Jonathan Freedman for his editorials urging passage of the first major immigration reform act in 34 years (dead link)
- 1979 Breaking News Reporting: San Diego Evening Tribune for its coverage of the PSA Flight 182 jetliner collision with a small plane over North Park (dead link)
- W. Jeff Gatewood, founder October 10, 1868
- Edward W. Bushyhead, 1868–1873 with various partners
- Douglas Gunn, 1871–1886
- John D. Spreckels, 1890–1926
- Col. Ira C. Copley, 1928–1947
- James S. Copley, 1947–1973
- Helen K. Copley, 1973–2001
- David C. Copley, 2001–2009
- Edward R. Moss (for Platinum Equity), 2009–2011
- Doug Manchester, 2011–present day
- The San Diego Union-Tribune website
- Early newspaper history from History of San Diego by William E. Smythe (1907-09)
- Edward Wilkerson "Ned" Bushyhead biography (San Diego Historical Society) (dead link)
- The Advocate, "Prop. 8 Backer Buys San Diego Paper," November 18, 2011
- "U-T, Copley News win Pulitzer Prize," The San Diego Union-Tribune, 2006-04-18 by Jeff McDonald
- 2006 Pulitzer Prize National Reporting (dead link)
- "George Polk Awards for Journalism press release". Long Island University. http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/polk/press/2005.html. Retrieved on November 15.