The city of San Diego held a mayoral election
on February 11, 2014. City councilman Kevin Faulconer
defeated fellow councilman David Alvarez
The race was a runoff from the November 19, 2013 special election, in which no candidate received more than 50 percent of the vote. The election took place to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of former mayor Bob Filner
. Officials projected that the runoff cost between $4 million and $4.5 million.
The deadline for voters to register to vote in the election was January 27, 2014.
About San Diego
San Diego, California is the eighth most populous city in the nation, with a population of 1,338,348 as of 2012. The city operates under a strong mayor-council form of government, with nine city council members elected by district in nonpartisan elections. The mayor and council members are elected to four-year terms.
As the top two vote getters, David Alvarez and Kevin Faulconer advanced past the November 19, 2013 nonpartisan primary.
|Mayor of San Diego Nonpartisan Primary, 2013
| Nathan Fletcher
| Michael Aguirre
| Lincoln Pickard
| Bruce Coons
| Simon Moghadam
| Hud Collins
| Michael Kemmer
| Harry Dirks
| Tobiah Pettus
According to a U-T San Diego and 10News poll conducted in early January 2014, Faulconer had established a 16-point lead over Alvarez. In a similar poll conducted in early December 2013, Faulconer and Alvarez were virtually tied, with 47 percent of respondents favoring the former and 46 percent favoring the latter.
|San Diego 2014 mayoral election runoff
|U-T San Diego / 10News||53%||37%||9%|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
On November 6, 2012, Bob Filner (D) won election as the mayor of San Diego. He defeated Carl DeMaio.
|Mayor of San Diego, 2012
|| Carl DeMaio
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term San + Diego + mayor + election
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
San Diego Mayoral Election News Feed
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 U-T San Diego "Faulconer wins mayor's race," February 11, 2014
- ↑ U-T San Diego "San Diego's mayoral runoff is Feb. 11," December 17, 2013
- ↑ Caramel Valley News "Voter registration deadline for upcoming election is Monday, Jan. 27," January 25, 2014
- ↑ Biggest U.S. Cities "Largest U.S. Cities by Population," accessed March 10, 2014
- ↑ The City of San Diego - Office of the City Clerk "A History of San Diego Government," accessed March 10, 2014
- ↑ San Diego Elections "November 19, 2013 Election Results"
- ↑ U-T San Diego "Poll: Faulconer takes lead over Alvarez," January 12, 2014
- ↑ SurveyUSA "Results of SurveyUSA Election Poll #21026," accessed January 16, 2014
- ↑ San Diego Elections "November 6, 2012 Election Results"