San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, Texas
|San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District|
|Val Verde County, Texas|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Carlos Rios|
|Number of schools:||12|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Charles Garabedian|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in San Felipe Del Rio CISD
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtVal Verde County, Texas. The county seat of Val Verde County is Del Rio. The county's population was 48,879 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Val Verde County underperforms in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 15.8% of Val Verde County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 26.3% rate for the state of Texas. Val Verde County had a median income of $40,509 in 2010 compared to $51,563 for Texas. The poverty rate for Val Verde County was 21.0% in 2010 compared to a 17.4% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Val Verde County (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||1.8||12.3|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.8||1.0|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.2||0.1|
|Two or More Races||0.9||1.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||80.5||38.2|
Note: Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" percentage, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off. Read more about race and ethnicity in the Census here.
The superintendent of San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District is Dr. Carlos Rios, who was appointed to the position in May 2013. He has his Bachelor's degree from Texas A&M University and then joined the United States Navy. Prior to this role, Rios was serving as Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction with Seguin Independent School District.
The San Felipe Del Rio CISD Board of Trustees consists of seven members who are elected at-large to three-year terms. While candidates run for specific positions on the ballot, they represent the entire district.
|San Felipe Del Rio CISD Board of Trustees|
|Member||Role||Place #||Term Ends|
|Charles "Chuck" Garabedian||President||Place 6||2015|
|Ceci Martinez-Lozano||Vice President||Place 3||2017|
|Joshua Overfelt||Secretary||Place 2||2015|
|Roberto Chavira||Member||Place 5||2017|
|Fernando Quiz||Member||Place 1||2017|
|Raymond P. Meza||Member||Place 4||2017|
|Amy Haynes||Member||Place 7||2015|
School board elections
Members of the San Felipe Del Rio CISD Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms. Four seats were up for election on May 10, 2014; all four incumbents were re-elected to their respective seats. Three seats are up for election on May 9, 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2011:
As long as the requirements of the Open Meetings Act are satisfied and the right of citizens to apply to the Board for redress of their grievances is not abridged, the Board need not provide a public forum for every citizen wishing to express an opinion on a matter. Reasonable restraints on the number, length, and frequency of presentations are permissible. The Board may limit the number of persons it will hear on a particular subject and the frequency with which they may appear, so long as the regulation does not abridge constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of speech and to petition nor unfairly discriminate among views seeking expression. 
—San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District's website, (2011) 
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. Teachers with a Bachelor's degree and no experience start out earning a salary of $38,000 and can earn up to $73,118 after 45 years of experience. Teachers with a Master's degree and no experience start out earning a salary of $39,500 and can earn up to 74,618 after 45 years of experience .
Schools in San Felipe Del Rio CISD
San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District serves 10,423 students. San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District operates 12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District Schools|
|Irene C. Cardwell Elementary School|
|Buena Vista Elementary School|
|Dr. Lonnie Green Elementary School|
|Dr. Fermin Calderon Elementary School|
|Garfield Elementary School School|
|Lamar Elementary School|
|North Heights Elementary School|
|Ruben Chavira Elementary School|
|San Felipe Memorial Middle School|
|Del Rio Middle School|
|Del Rio Freshman School|
|Del Rio High School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 83 percent of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,105||1,500||74||50|
- School board elections portal
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District elections (2015)
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District elections (2014)
- Texas school districts
- List of school districts in Texas
- San Felipe Del Riol Consolidated Independent School District, "Executive Summary: 2012-2013 Approved Budget," accessed November 27, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Val Verde County," accessed March 13, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "Superintendent Biography," accessed March 13, 2014
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "Board of Trustees," accessed April 3, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "Public Participation," May 10, 2011
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "2013-2014 Official District Budget," accessed December 15, 2014
- San Felipe Consolidated Independent School District, "Teacher Professional TASB Salary Matrix," accessed April 4, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "Schools," accessed April 4, 2014
- San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, "Accountability Summary 2013," accessed June 24, 2014