San Jose Mercury News
In the late 1990s, as Silicon Valley and the Mercury News soared in national prominence, then-owner Knight Ridder moved its headquarters from Miami, Florida to an office tower in downtown San Jose to be closer to its rising star.
Much of the paper's local coverage is concentrated on Silicon Valley, the Peninsula, the southern portion of the East Bay, and Santa Cruz. Therefore, it is most widely available in those areas, as well as San Francisco.
A progressive group, called Media Matters has accused Mercury News as being a conservative paper based on their coverage of presidential electoral reform initiative in which the paper says that funding for it is bi-partisan.
The newspaper has also published an article that asks voters to thoroughly investigate each proposition they are voting for. The tips give a conservative feel to the paper. The tips include:
- Be wary of measures that can only be changed by 2/3 of the legislature
- If the measure creates new programs, new agencies or new government spending without a source of funding-vote no.
- If the measure creates a government agency or program outside of regular checks and balances-vote no.
- "2007 Top 100 Daily Newspapers in the U.S. by Circulation" (PDF). BurrellesLuce. 2007-03-31. http://www.burrellesluce.com/top100/2007_Top_100List.pdf. Retrieved on 2007-05-29.
- "Newspaper Chain Agrees to a Sale for $4.5 Billion" by Katharine Q. Seelye and Andrew Ross Sorkin, The New York Times, March 13, 2006.
- "Press Release: McClatchy To Sell Four Knight Ridder Newspapers for $1 Billion" by MediaNews Group, Inc., April 26, 2006.
- Egelko, Bob (2006-12-20). "Hearst-MediaNews ruling extended", San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved on 2007-01-05.
- Egelko, Bob (2007-04-25). "Hearst, MediaNews Group settle Reilly suit", San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved on 2007-05-30.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Gary Webb.
This article was taken from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the GNU license
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found