San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District elections (2013)
Three seats on the School Board for San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District were up for district wide elections scheduled to be held on November 5, 2013. The school district canceled the scheduled election due to a lack of opposition for the candidates who filed, which left Chelsea Bonini, Ed Coady and Lory Lorimer Lawson as the default winners of the three at-large seats.
About the districtSan Mateo County in Foster City, California. It is located in the 14th largest county in California. According to the 2010 United States Census, Foster City is home to 32,129 residents.
Foster City outperformed in comparison to the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2011, median household income and percentage of residents living below the poverty level. The United States Census Bureau found that 63.0% of Foster City residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5% for California as a whole. The median household income in Foster City was $115,053 compared to $61,400 for the state of California. The poverty rate in Foster City was 4.2% compared to 15.3% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District School Board consists of five members, all of whom are elected to four year terms. All board members represent the district at large. Board member terms are staggered so that at least two members, but no more than three are to be elected each odd numbered year on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. There are no primary elections. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. The two remaining seats are up for election on November 3, 2015.
No candidates reported any contributions or expenditures during the election to the San Mateo County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder.
No candidates received any official endorsements.
On November 8, 2011, two seats on the San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District were up for election. Candidates Colleen Marie Sullivan and Audrey Ng defeated one challenger.
|San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District Board of Education, At-large General Election, 2011, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Colleen Marie Sullivan||38.6%||9,540|
|Nonpartisan||Fel Anthony Amistad||29.7%||7,339|
|Source: Smart Voter.org, "Governing Board Member; San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District Voter Information" accessed October 22, 2013|
What was at stake?
Three at-large seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent board president Lory Lorimer Lawson has filed seeking re-election. With only three candidates on the ballot, Ed Coady, Chelsea Bonini and Lawson were uncontested and the election did not appear on the final ballot.
The following dates were key deadlines for the San Mateo-Foster City Elementary Unified School District election in 2013:
|July 15, 2013||First day to file a petition of candidacy|
|August 9, 2013||Close of filing period for petition of candidacy|
|October 21, 2013||Last day to register to vote in school election|
|October 29, 2013||Final day to apply to vote by mail|
|November 5, 2013||Election Day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The ballot for the November 5, 2013 election in San Mateo County also featured elections for local and municipal positions, such as elections for City Council and a Business License Tax for the city of Foster City.
- California school board elections draw over 200 candidates
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District, California
- List of school board elections in 2013
- San Mateo County, California ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, California
- United States Census Bureau, "Foster City (city), California," accessed October 2, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Report of Registration as of February 10, 2013 - Registration by County," accessed January 20, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District, "Board," accessed October 22, 2013
- [http://www.lavote.net/voter/PDFS/CALENDAR_EVENTS/11052013.pdf LA Votes, "TENTATIVE CALENDAR OF EVENTS " accessed August 26, 2013
- SmartVoter.org, "Directory of San Mateo County, CA Measures," accessed October 22, 2013