Santa Clara County is one of 58 counties in California.
- Main article: Evaluation of California county websites
- The names and contact information for all board of supervisor members is available.
- Board of supervisor meeting agendas and minutes are published.
- The current budget is published.
- Information on building permits and zoning is available.
- Information on contracts is provided.
- Audit reports are available.
- Information on how to obtain public records is provided.
- Information on tax rates is not provided.
- There is no information on administrative officials and lobbying.
- Main article: California public pensions
In 2011, the Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara received $16 million in federal housing aid funds for low-income families. Instead of using the money for those goals, the housing authority instead nearly doubled the value of its employee retirement benefits. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2008 designated the housing authority as one of 32 "Moving to Work Demonstration Sites," granting increased flexibility in using the funds in a more efficient manner. As a result of the Authority's switch from a 401(k) style retirement plan to a public pension allows employees to receive a monthly pension check beginning at age 50, with a guaranteed 2% annual increase after retirement.
- Main article: California government sector lobbying
For 2007 and 2008, Santa Clara County spent $431,818 on lobbying the California legislature.