|Vermont House Of Representatives, Orange 2|
|2005 - Present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||9|
|Per diem||$107/day (non-commuter) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Oxbow High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Vermont|
Copeland-Hanzas earned her B.A. in History from the University of Vermont in 1992. One year later, she received a B.A. in Geology. She went on to receive her Teaching Certificate from Upper Valley Teacher Institute in 1995.
Copeland-Hanzas worked as a Teacher for Oxbow High School from 1995 to 1996. She also worked as Varsity Coach for Oxbow High School from 1993 to 2003. During this time, she was also Varsity Coach at Hanover High School. She has worked as a Saleswoman for the Copland Company Store since 1993.
She currently serves as Co-Chair of the Vermont Democratic Party Fundraising Committee as well.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Copeland-Hanzas served on the following committees:
|Vermont Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health Care, Vice-chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Copeland-Hanzas served on these committees:
|Vermont Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Health Care|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Copeland-Hanzas served on these committees:
|Vermont Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Health Care|
Elections for the office of Vermont House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2014. Incumbent Sarah Copeland-Hanzas was unopposed in the Democratic primary.
Copeland-Hanzas won re-election in the 2012 election for Vermont House of Representatives Orange 2. Copeland-Hanzas was unopposed in the August 28 Democratic primary and defeated Mary Daly (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Vermont House of Representatives, Orange 2 District, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Sarah Copeland-Hanzas Incumbent||63.4%||1,256|
|Vermont House of Representatives, Orange 2 General Election (2010)|
|Sarah Copeland-Hanzas (D)||919|
|Mary Daly (R)||625|
Comprehensive donor information for Copeland-Hanzas is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Copeland-Hanzas raised a total of $4,564 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 23, 2013.
|Sarah Copeland-Hanzas's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Vermont State House, District Orange-2||$2,071|
|2010||Vermont State House, District Orange-2||$2,493|
|Grand Total Raised||$4,564|
2012Copeland-Hanzas won re-election to the Vermont House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Copeland-Hanzas raised a total of $2,071.
|Vermont House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Sarah Copeland-Hanzas's campaign in 2012|
|Copeland, Jim & Debbie||$200|
|Patient Choices Of Vermont||$100|
|Vermont Trial Lawyers Association||$100|
|Total Raised in 2012||$2,071|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, a year in which Copeland-Hanzas was up for election, she collected $2,493 in donations.
Her largest contributors in 2010 were:
|Vermont House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Sarah Copeland-Hanzas's campaign in 2010|
|Oas Llc Dba Valley Vista||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$2,493|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- National Federation of Independent Business in Vermont: 2013-2014 Legislative Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on key small business issues.
- Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility: 2011-2012 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on whether or not their votes aligned with VBSR’s stance on each policy.
- Vermont Conservation Voters: 2011-2012 Environmental Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting records on environmental issues.
- Vermont Public Interest Research Group: 2011-2012 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on voting records on VPIRG-backed legislation to promote clean energy, reduce exposure to toxins, make health care more accessible and affordable and protect our democracy.
The Ethan Allen Institute, a Vermont-based free-market public policy research and education organization, released its biennial publication, the Vermont Voters' Report Card, for the years 2011-2012. The report showed how Vermont legislators in the state House and state Senate voted on key issues important to the Institute. Here's how Copeland-Hanzas voted on the selected bills:
|Vermont Voters Scorecard, 2011-2012|
|Health Provider Tax||Green Mountain Care||Education Taxation||Green Mountain Care||Property Rate Tax||Health Exchange||Green Mountain Care||Renewable Portfolio||CVPS Rebate|
Copeland-Hanzas and her husband, John, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sarah + Copeland-Hanzas + Vermont + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vermont State Legislature
- Vermont State Senate
- Vermont State Senate Committees
- Vermont Joint Committees
- Vermont state legislative districts
- Campaign website
- Vermont Legislature - Legislative Directory
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Listing," June 13, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "Election Results Search," accessed April 23, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Hanzas, Sarah Copeland," accessed September 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 Campaign contributors," accessed April 23, 2014
- Ethan Allen Institute, "Report Cards," accessed September 10, 2013