Schenectady City School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Schenectady City School District
Schenectady County, New York ballot measures
Local ballot measures, New York
Three seats on the Schenectady City School District Board of Education were up for general election on May 20, 2014. Incumbent Cheryl Nechamen, newcomer Tanya Hall and write-in candidate Dharam Hitlall ran unopposed and won the seats.
Fellow incumbent Ron Lindsay did not file for re-election, and no other candidates filed for the third seat vacated by former board member Ed Kosiur in February 2014. The write-in candidate who received the most votes, Dharam Hitlall, won the third seat. If no write-in candidate had received votes, the school board would have decided whether to leave the seat vacant, appoint a new member or hold a special election.
About the districtSchenectady County, New York. The county seat of Schenectady County is Schenectady. Schenectady County is home to 155,333 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. Schenectady City is the 16th-largest school district in New York, serving 9,821 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Schenectady County underperformed in comparison to the rest of New York in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.6 percent of Schenectady County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 32.8 percent for New York as a whole. The median household income in Schenectady County was $56,445 compared to $57,683 for the state of New York. The poverty rate in Schenectady County was 12.0 percent compared to 14.9 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Schenectady City School District Board of Education consists of seven members. All members are elected to three-year terms. Board members are elected at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election, and the general election was on May 20, 2014. Three seats were up for election in 2014 and two seats will be up for election in 2015. Since only two candidates filed for the three seats, the write-in candidate who received the most votes won the third seat. If no write-in candidates had received votes, the school board would have decided whether to leave the seat vacant, appoint a new member or hold a special election.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was April 30, 2014. Candidates had to file nominating petitions with at least 100 legitimate signatures to get on the ballot.
- Cheryl Nechamen
- Dharam Hitlall
- Write-in candidate
|Schenectady City School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Cheryl Nechamen Incumbent||47.7%||981|
|Nonpartisan||Dharam Hitlall (Write-in)||6.9%||142|
|Source: Schenectady City School District, "Home," accessed May 20, 2014|
No candidates received endorsements for their campaigns.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Schenectady City School District election in 2014:
|April 30, 2014||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|May 20, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with a budget proposal made by the Schenectady City School District. The 2014-2015 budget proposal totaled up to $164,304,428, which was a 3.14 percent increase from the 2013-2014 budget. Voters approved the budget proposal.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Schenectady + City + School + District + New + York"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York
- Schenectady City School District, New York
- New York school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Schenectady County, New York ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, New York
- Schenectady City School District, "2014 School Board Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Schenectady County, New York," accessed May 1, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 21, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "NYS Voter Enrollment by County, Party Affiliation and Status - Voters Registered as of November 01, 2013," accessed April 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Schenectady City School District, "Board of Education," accessed May 5, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia via phone call with the Schenectady City School District administration on April 14, 2014.
- New York State Board of Elections, "Contribution Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Expenditure Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- Schenectady City School District, "Budget 2014-15," accessed May 5, 2014
|2014 Schenectady City School District Elections|
|Schenectady County, New York|
|Election date:||May 20, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Cheryl Nechamen • Tanya Hall • Dharam Hitlall (write-in)|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|