School choice in Nevada
Energy • Public education • School choice • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access
| Education policy in the U.S. |
| Education statistics |
|State Education Information|
Educational choice options
Charter schools operate under a charter issued by a local school district or the Nevada State Board of Education. In the 2009-2010 school year there were approximately 27 charter schools in the state of Nevada. The number of charter schools in Nevada grew to 32 during the 2012-2013 school year.
Charter school authorizers are, according to the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA), the organizations "designated to approve, monitor, renew, and, if necessary, close charter schools." As of June 2014, the following organizations were listed by NACSA as charter school authorizers in Nevada:
|Nevada charter school authorizers|
|Organization||Authorizer type||Number of schools overseen|
|Carson City School District||Local education agency||1|
|Clark County School District||Local education agency||7|
|Nevada Department of Education Office of Charter Schools||Independent chartering board||20|
|Washoe County School District||Local education agency||10|
| Note: If the total number of charter schools accounted for in this table differs from the total number listed elsewhere on this page, the discrepancy owes to differing calculation methods and data sources.|
Source: National Association of Charter School Authorizers, "Nevada Charter Authorizers," accessed June 18, 2014
An estimated 12,812 students were home-schooled in Nevada during the 2012-2013 school year, which represented approximately 2.67 percent of all students in the state.
In order to homeschool their children in Nevada, parents or guardians must file a Notice of Intent to Homeschool for each child between the ages of seven and 18. This form is filed with the superintendent of the school district in which the children reside and only needs to be filed once, unless the name or address of the parent or child changes.
As of September 2013, Nevada had 11 online and blended charter schools and 15 district online programs. During the 2012-2013 school year, these online schools and programs served 10,414 fully online students, which represented a 19 percent increase from the previous school year.
In the 2011-2012 school year 23,735 students, or 5.41 percent of school age children, were enrolled in 146 private schools. Nevada ranks 43rd in the U.S. in private school attendance.
Public school open enrollment
Nevada has a voluntary inter-district public school open enrollment policy. This policy authorizes school districts to admit students living in adjoining school districts, in state or out of state, and allows them to pay tuition for students attending an adjoining school district.
Education ballot measures
Ballotpedia has tracked no statewide ballot measures relating to school choice in Nevada.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Nevada + Education + Choice"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nevada state budget
- Nevada Department of Education
- Nevada school districts
- Education Policy in the U.S.
- Nevada Department of Education
- Nevada Public School Ratings by PSK12
- Nevada Public School Ratings by Great Schools
- National Conference of State Legislatures, "School Choice and Charters," accessed June 18, 2014
- Friedman Foundation for School Choice, "What is School Choice?" accessed June 18, 2014
- Nevada Department of Education, "Charter Schools," accessed October 30, 2009
- Nevada Department of Education, "List of Charter Schools," September 25, 2009
- National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, "Total Number of Schools: 2012-2013 Nevada," accessed June 24, 2014
- National Association of Charter School Authorizers, "Nevada Charter Authorizers," accessed June 18, 2014]
- A2Z Home's Cool - Home Education from A to Z, "How Many Homeschoolers in America?" updated February 3, 2014
- A2Z Home's Cool - Home Education from A to Z, "Nevada Home School Laws," accessed June 24, 2014
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "Section 392.070," accessed June 24, 2014
- Keeping Pace with K-12 Online & Blended Learning, "Data & Information: Nevada," accessed June 24, 2014
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Common Core of Data (CCD), "Private School Universe Survey (PSS)", 2011-12 ; "Public Elementary/Secondary School Universe Survey", 2011-12 v.1a; "State Nonfiscal Public Elementary/Secondary Education Survey", 2011-12 v.1a., accessed May 12, 2014.
- Education Commission of the States, "50-State Analysis," accessed June 24, 2014