Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 20|
|April 29, 2009 – January 3, 2011|
|High school||David H. Hickman High School|
|Birthday||January 26, 1970|
|Place of birth||Columbia, Missouri|
Frequency of Voting with Democratic Leadership
According to a July 2010 analysis of 1,357 votes cast from January 1, 2009 to June 16, 2010, Rep. Murphy has voted with the House Democratic leadership 88.3% of the time. That same analysis reported that he also voted with party leadership 90.6% of the time in 2010.
Washington Post Analysis
A separate analysis from The Washington Post, concluded that he votes 98.1% of the time with the majority of rank-and-file Democrats in the House of Representatives.
Rep. Murphy voted in favor of the "Cash for Clunkers" bill. According to a June 2009 Rasmussen Reports poll, 54 percent of likely U.S. voters opposed Cash for Clunkers, while 35 percent supported it.
Murphy supported the "Cap and Trade" bill. Just after the bill’s passage, 42% of likely U.S. voters said that cap and trade would hurt the economy, while 19% believed it would help. 15% said that the bill would have no impact.
Finally, Murphy voted in favor of the health care reform bill. Fifty-seven percent of likely voters at least somewhat favored repeal of the health care reform bill, including 46 percent who strongly favored repeal. Thirty-five percent of likely voters opposed repeal. Fifty-one percent of likely voters believed the health care reform bill would be bad for the country, while 36 percent believed it would be beneficial.
- A Line of Sight, "2010 House Dem Voting Report"
- Washington Post, "U.S. Congress Votes Database, 111th Congress"
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 314," June 9, 2009
- Rasmussen, "54% Oppose “Cash for Clunkers” Plan To Spur Purchase of Greener Cars," June 23, 2009
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 477," June 26, 2009
- Rasmussen, "42% Say Climate Change Bill Will Hurt The Economy," June 30, 2009
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 165," March 21, 2010
- Rasmussen, "61% Favor Repeal of Healthcare Law," September 20, 2010