|Florida House of Representatives, District 29|
|November 18, 2014 - Present|
|November 14, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Florida House of Representatives|
|2008 - 2012|
|Bachelor's||Stetson University (1981)|
|Birthday||March 13, 1959|
|Place of birth||Rochester, New York|
|Profession||Owner and Publisher of The Claims Pages and Claims Pages Online|
Plakon's professional experience includes working as a chief executive officer and publisher. He is a founding Board Member of A Safe Harbor Pregnancy Resource Center, Board Member of Christian Life Missions, Trustee of the Media Research Center, Vice-Chair/Board of Directors of Sanford Rescue Outreach Mission and Open Door Shelter for Women and Children and a life member of the National Rifle Association.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Plakon was appointed to these committees:
- State Affairs
- Subcommittee on Federal Affairs, Chair
- Subcommittee on Government Operations (State Affairs)
- Subcommittee on K-20 Innovation
- Subcommittee on Pre K-12 Appropriations
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Plakon served on these committees:
- Administrative Procedures Committee, Florida State Legislature
- Government Accountability Act Council
- Health Care Services Policy Committee
- Natural Resources Appropriations Committee
- PreK-12 Policy Committee
Plakon's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
More and Better Jobs
- Excerpt: "Scott Plakon knows the ultimate solutions to our problems won't come from government but rather from the innovation and creativity of individual Floridians."
- Excerpt: "Scott is working to create a booming economy, sustainable growth, and good-paying jobs to help families thrive. More than ever, you can count on Scott Plakon to keep up the fight for lower taxes."
- Excerpt: "Scott Plakon believes Tallahassee can continue ensuring our students and schools are reaching for excellence by setting goals, then helping them reach those goals. This does not mean state government dictates every tiny detail of district operations, but rather helps struggling schools and districts apply strategies and programs that have proved successful."
- Excerpt: "Scott is doing everything possible as our legislator to ensure that the safety of his neighbors and all Florida citizens is a top priority."
Better Energy Sources
- Excerpt: "Scott Plakon believes energy is the lifeblood of our economy, and Florida should be a leader in the use of alternative energies."
Elections for the office of Florida House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 26, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. Incumbent Mike Clelland was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Scott Plakon was unopposed in the Republican primary. Plakon defeated Clelland in the general election.
Plakon ran in the 2012 election for Florida House of Representatives District 30. Plakon ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was defeated by Karen Castor Dentel (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 30, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Karen Castor Dentel||53.1%||36,475|
|Republican||Scott Plakon Incumbent||46.9%||32,232|
In 2010, Plakon raised $50,091 in campaign contributions. The largest contributors are listed below:
|Florida House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Scott Plakon's campaign in 2010|
|Florida Chamber of Commerce||$1,500|
|Hospital Corp of America||$1,000|
|Florida Sheriffs Cce||$500|
|Magical Cruise Company, Ltd||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$50,091|
Below are Plakon's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Scott D Plakon||$100,500|
|FL Institute of CPAs||$2,500|
|FL Chamber of Commerce||$1,500|
|FL Association of Realtors||$1,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Plakon and his wife, Susie, have six children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Scott + Plakon + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Profile from the Florida House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Scott Plakon on Facebook
- Scott Plakon on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed October 23, 2014
- The State Column, "Florida State Rep. Scott Plakon endorses Rick Santorum," January 27, 2012
- Sunshine State News, "Herman Cain gets backing of Florida legislator Scott Plakton," September 24, 2011
- scottplakon.com, "Issues," accessed October 23, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "2014 Florida Election Watch - Multi-County or District Offices," accessed September 3, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State Election Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 21, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "November 2, 2010, Election Results," November 2, 2010
- Follow the Money, "District 37 Florida House candidate funds, 2008," accessed October 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 Campaign contributions," accessed October 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 Campaign contributions," accessed October 23, 2014
- Scott Plakon, "About Scott," accessed November 3, 2012
Mike Clelland (D)
|Florida House of Representatives District 29
| Succeeded by|
|Florida House of Representatives District 37
| Succeeded by|
Richard Corcoran (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |