|Florida House Of Representatives District 37|
|November 2008 - November 16, 2012|
|Per diem||$133/per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||Stetson University (1981)|
|Birthday||March 13, 1959|
|Place of birth||Rochester, New York|
|Profession||Owner and Publisher of The Claims Pages and Claims Pages Online|
Plakon works as a chief executive officer and publisher.
He is a founding Board Member of A Safe Harbor Pregnancy Resource Center, Board Member of Christian Life Missions, Trustee of the Media Research Center, Vice-Chair/Board of Directors of Sanford Rescue Outreach Mission and Open Door Shelter for Women and Children, and a life member of the National Rifle Association.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Plakon was appointed to these committees:
- State Affairs
- Subcommittee on Federal Affairs, Chair
- Subcommittee on Government Operations (State Affairs)
- Subcommittee on K-20 Innovation
- Subcommittee on Pre K-12 Appropriations
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Plakon served on these committees:
- Administrative Procedures Committee, Florida State Legislature
- Government Accountability Act Council
- Health Care Services Policy Committee
- Natural Resources Appropriations Committee
- PreK-12 Policy Committee
The following excerpts come from Plakon's campaign website:
Jobs: "Scott Plakon knows the ultimate solutions to our problems won't come from government but rather from the innovation and creativity of individual Floridians. Florida needs more meaningful relief that impacts all taxpayers and regulatory reform that frees up small businesses to expand and hire...."
Taxes: "...Scott is working to create a booming economy, sustainable growth, and good-paying jobs to help families thrive. More than ever, you can count on Scott Plakon to keep up the fight for lower taxes."
Schools: "...Scott Plakon believes Tallahassee can continue ensuring our students and schools are reaching for excellence by setting goals, then helping them reach those goals. This does not mean state government dictates every tiny detail of district operations, but rather helps struggling schools and districts apply strategies and programs that have proved successful. At the same time, Scott wants parents to have choices so their children aren't stuck in consistently failing, substandard schools."
Public safety: "...Scott is doing everything possible as our legislator to ensure that the safety of his neighbors and all Florida citizens is a top priority."
Energy: "...With increasing demand for energy and instability in world markets, Scott believes we have a responsibility to find ways to keep Florida's energy supply stable. He supports tax incentives for companies that develop energy-efficient products and grants to homebuilders and homeowners for using alternative energy sources and supplies."
Plakon did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Plakon ran in the 2012 election for Florida House of Representatives District 30. Plakon ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was defeated by Karen Castor Dentel (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 30, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Karen Castor Dentel||53.1%||36,475|
|Republican||Scott Plakon Incumbent||46.9%||32,232|
In 2010, Plakon raised $50,091 in campaign contributions. The largest contributors are listed below:
|Florida House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Scott Plakon's campaign in 2010|
|FLORIDA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE||$1,500|
|HOSPITAL CORP OF AMERICA||$1,000|
|FLORIDA SHERIFFS CCE||$500|
|MAGICAL CRUISE COMPANY, LTD||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$50,091|
Below are Plakon's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Scott D Plakon||$100,500|
|FL Institute of CPAs||$2,500|
|FL Chamber of Commerce||$1,500|
|FL Association of Realtors||$1,000|
Plakon and his wife, Susie, have six children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Scott + Plakon + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Scott Plakon's House site
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Scott Plakon
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Scott Plakon on Facebook
- Scott Plakon on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Plakon Biography
- [http://www.scottplakon.com/issues Scott Plakon, "Issues," retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Plakon Issue Positions
- The State Column, "Florida State Rep. Scott Plakon endorses Rick Santorum," January 27, 2012
- Sunshine State News "Herman Cain gets backing of Florida legislator Scott Plakton," September 24, 2011
- Florida Secretary of State Election Division "Candidate List" Accessed June 21, 2012
- Florida Election Watch - 2010 Election results
- District 37 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the money - 2010 campaign contributions for the Florida House
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Scott Plakon, "About Scott," retrieved November 3, 2012.
|Florida House of Representatives District 37
| Succeeded by|
Richard Corcoran (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |