Seattle Stimulus Bill Protest 2009
Video from 2/27 Seattle event
Liberty Belle's expressed her motivation for organizing the protest as, "Make no mistake, the President will be signing that bill tomorrow, I have no illusions that he will actually listen to us. BUT, maybe, just maybe we can start a movement that will snowball across the nation and get people out of their homes, meeting each other and working together to redirect this country towards its truly radical founding principles of individual liberty and freedom. Maybe people will wake up slowly at first, and then quickly when they realize the urgency needed."
Three days after the Seattle protest, Rick Santelli made the remarks that have come to be known as the "Rant Heard 'Round the World", leading fiscally conservative bloggers and activists to organize a series of such events.
February 27 event
Organizer Liberty Belle said of the February 27 gathering, "...the Tea Party went down fabulously...we are building a real, solid, grassroots movement filled with passionate, caring, intelligent, and purposeful people."
This event was part of a national movement referred to as the Chicago Tea Party. The series of protests began in Seattle, Washington on February 16, 2009, later gaining momentum on Thursday, February 19, when Rick Santelli in an on-air segment on CNBC Business Newslive called for a "Chicago Tea Party." Santelli's remarks became known as the "Rant Heard 'Round the World."
Organizers sprang up in many different quarters of the fiscally conservative movement online and include Top Conservatives on Twitter, Smart Girl Politics, Don't Go, Americans for Tax Reform, the Heartland Institute, American Spectator Magazine, the New American Tea Party and many others.
- Redistributing Knowledge, Liberty Belle's blog
- A Protest for the Rest of Us
- Seattle's Stimulus Bill Protest
- Michelle Malkin, "From the Boston Tea Party to your neighborhood pork protest," February 16, 2009
- Examiner, "Taxpayer revolt spreads as tea party goes national," February 22, 2009
- Second rally in Seattle
- Redistributing Knowledge, "Glaring mistakes, purposeful or not," February 28, 2009
- Report of Dennis Mooney on the February 27, 2009 tea party in Seattle
- Street Insider, "Rick Santelli - The Rant Heard 'Round the World,'" February 19, 2009
- TCOT and online Conservatives Launch Nationwide Chicago Tea Party Friday February 27 at noon
Chicago Tea Party and Tax Day Tea Party
Asheville, NC | Atlanta, GA | Fayetteville, AR | Ft. Myers, FL | Gainesville, FL | Greenville, SC | Jackson, MS | Jacksonville, Florida | Lafayette, LA | Little Rock, AR | Nashville | Orlando | Sarasota, FL | Shelby County, AL | Tampa, FL |