Senate panel approves bond package for sports arena
JUNEAU, Alaska: On April 10, 2010, the Senate Finance Committee approved an approximate $380 million bond package that would fund a new sports arena at the University of Alaska-Anchorage. The bond package, which is included in this year's budget, is the only component of the budget that could be decided by voters. The measure would be placed on the November 2, 2010 ballot if approved by the Alaska Legislature. Also included in the proposed package is the use of that money to fund construction of rural schools, among other projects.
Details of the package include:
- $80 million for a new sports arena
- $128.5 million for schools in the western part of the state.
- $20 million for a state library, archives and museum building in the state capital.
- $40 million total for a fish and game research building in the Kodiak area of the state.
- $23.5 million for an arts and learning center.
- $108.6 million for a sciences classroom and lab facility at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks.