|Kansas House of Representatives District 52|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|M.D.||University of Bombay|
Gandhi earned his M.D. from the University of Bombay. His professional experience includes working as a cardiovascular surgeon.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gandhi served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Social Services Budget|
|• Federal and State Affairs|
Gandhi's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Preserve personal freedom
- Excerpt: "Personal freedom is one of the basic tenets this country was founded on and is gradually being eroded."
Limit size of the government
- Excerpt: "In Kansas, it will be one of the most important task of the legislature to contain the size of our government. This will allow the small businesses to grow which is the engine that drives our economy."
Control Government Spending
- Excerpt: "Our national debt is mounting by the minute. It is going up at the rate of more than $2.8 million every minute."
- Excerpt: "If we expect people to live within their means, the government has an obligation to do so."
Gandhi won election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 52. Gandhi defeated WM. Scott Hesse and Dick Jones in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Ted Ensley (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 52, General Election, 2012|
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 52 Republican Primary, 2012|
|WM. Scott Hesse||27.7%||1,137|
Comprehensive donor information for Gandhi is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Gandhi raised a total of $31,756 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 19, 2013.
|Shanti Gandhi's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State House, District 52||$31,756|
|Grand Total Raised||$31,756|
2012Gandhi won election to the Kansas House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Gandhi raised a total of $31,756.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Shanti Gandhi's campaign in 2012|
|Kansas Medical Society||$875|
|Heinz, Mark V & Lisa A||$500|
|Lutes, David & Rachel||$500|
|Craig, Harry & Karen||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$31,756|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
Shanti Gandhi received a score of 66.0% in the 2013 index.
Gandhi and his wife, Susan, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Shanti + Gandhi + Kansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Kansas House of Representatives - Representative Shanti Gandhi
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
Lana Gordon (R)
|Kansas House of Representatives District 52
| Succeeded by|
Dick Jones (R) (effective January 12, 2015)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |