|California State Senate District 17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||February 15, 2011|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|California State Assembly|
|Birthday||May 17, 1954|
|Place of birth||Los Angeles, CA|
Runner served in the California State Assembly from 2002 to 2008, holding the position of Assistant Republican Leader.
Runner was born in Los Angeles and grew up in the Antelope Valley. In 1977, she became a co-founder of Desert Christian Schools, one of California's largest private schools. She went on to found The Runner Group, a public relations/marketing company. While serving in the assembly, Runner authored Jessica's Law which imposed new restrictions on sexual predators. After leaving the California State Assembly, Runner became vice-president of California Women Lead which provides bi-partisan support for women seeking public office. In addition, she serves as President of the board of California's Women's Leadership Association, and served as co-chair for Meg Whitman's gubernatorial campaign. She is married to her husband George Runner. She has two children.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Runner served on these committees:
- Education Committee, California State Senate, Vice Chair
- Labor and Industrial Relations Committee, California State Senate
- Veterans Affairs Committee, California State Senate
Runner did not seek re-election in 2012.
Runner defeated Darren Parker (D) in the February 15 special election for California State Senate District 17. Since only two candidates appeared on the ballot, Runner avoided the special runoff election originally scheduled for April 19.
The election was the first to follow the new primary structure created by Proposition 14 which passed in June of 2010. Under the new rules, all candidates will participate in a single primary with the top two candidates (unless one gets more than 50% of the vote) moving to a runoff in the general election. All registered voters may vote in the primary.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Sharon + Runner + California + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- KHTS AM 1220, "Runner Resigns Today To Consolidate Election Process," December 21, 2010
- Campaign Site, "About Sharon"
- Hermosa Beach Patch, "Few hats in the ring for Oropeza's state Senate seat," December 18, 2010
- LA Times, "Winners avoid runoffs in two special elections for California Senate," February 16, 2011"
- California Secretary of State, "Special Election Calendar"
- Redondo Beach Patch, "Feb. 15 Set for Special Election to Fill Oropeza's Seat," December 17, 2010
George Runner (R)
|California State Senate 17
| Succeeded by|
Bill Monning (D)