Shasta County Outdoor Medical Marijuana Ordinance Referendum (November 2014)
|Voting on Marijuana|
|Not on ballot|
This measure is a veto referendum effort against a county ordinance, put forward by the Shasta County Planning Commissioners and approved by the Shasta County Board of Supervisors, that creates strict restrictions on the cultivation of medical marijuana plants with regard to location, number of plants and screening/security structures. Once this ordinance was passed, a group of county residents called Sungrown in Shasta began a referendum petition campaign trying to collect the 9,800 valid signatures required to put this ordinance before voters in an attempt to overturn it. These signatures were due on February 27, 2014, but were turned in prior to that date. The next step for these petitions is certification by the county registrar of voters.
Note: Those who oppose the medical marijuana cultivation ordinance and support the referendum effort to overturn this ordinance are referred to as "supporters" in this article.
Sungrown in Shasta and Concerned Citizens of Shasta County are the groups behind this veto referendum petition.
Arguments in favor
Supporters focus on the restrictions on outdoor cannabis cultivation and argue that people should have a right to grow medical marijuana on their own land, which is made illegal for most people under the new restrictions.
- City of Lewiston Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- Town of York Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- City of South Portland Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- City of Albuquerque Marijuana Decriminalization Measure (November 2014)
- City of Santa Fe Marijuana Decriminalization Initiative (November 2014)
- Butte County Medical Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance Referendum (2014)
- Shasta County Outdoor Medical Marijuana Ordinance Referendum (November 2014)
- City of San Jose Medical Marijuana Regulation Act of 2014 (November 2014)
Lake County Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance 2997 Referendum, Measure N (June 2014)
City of Imperial Beach "Compassionate Access Ordinance" Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Act (June 2014)
City of Napa Medical Marijuana Dispensary Referendum (November 2014)
- Local marijuana on the ballot
- Notable local measures on the ballot
- November 4, 2014 ballot measures in California
- Shasta County, California ballot measures