|Snohomish Board of Directors, District 1|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
Ballas owned a residential garden design firm called AGF, Inc. from 1994 to 2009. She is currently a development director at Washington Women in Need. Ballas has served as president of the Riverview Elementary School PTO and volunteers as an art teacher at district schools. She has four children who attend schools in the district.
Ballas sought re-election to the District 3 seat without opposition in the November 5, 2013 election.
|Snohomish Board of Directors, District 1, Four-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Shaunna Ballas Incumbent||97.7%||9,452|
|Source: Snohomish County Auditor's Office, "Snohomish County General Election Results," November 25, 2013|
Ballas reported no contributions or expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
Ballas won a first full term on the board against challenger Gregory Pratt in the November 3, 2009 general election.
|Snohomish Board of Directors, District 1, November 3, 2009|
|Source: Snohomish County Auditor, "November 3, 2009 General Election Results," November 24, 2009|
What was at stake?
About the district
- See also: Snohomish School District, Washington
Snohomish lags behind state averages for median income and higher education achievement while outperforming the state's poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (23.6%) is below the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Snohomish's median income at $52,386 while the state median income was $58,890. Snohomish had a poverty rate of 11.2% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shaunna + Ballas + Snohomish + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington school districts
- Snohomish School District elections (2013)
- Snohomish School District, Washington
- HeraldNet, "Volunteer joins the Snohomish School Board," January 19, 2009
- LinkedIn, "Shauna Ballas," accessed September 24, 2013
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," accessed December 17, 2013
- 2010 U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Snohomish," accessed September 23, 2013
- Snohomish County Auditor, "Past Election Results," accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014