Shawn M. Morse
|New York State Senate District 44|
A firefighter since 1989, Morse previously served as president of the Uniformed Firefighters Local 2562 and received the 2002 Medal for Bravery.
On his campaign website, Morse lists four main issues of his campaign:
- Unfunded Mandates and Property Taxes: "Shawn believes in a simple rule: If the State Legislature is going to mandate programs, they need to take the responsibility to figure out how to pay for them."
- Education: "While there is no silver bullet that will solve all of our problems, Shawn knows that above all we need to make sure that our schools are getting their fair share of state aid, then build from a standpoint of protecting what is working, and fixing what is not."
- Creating Jobs: "In the past, we relied on Empire Zones as a means of providing tax incentives to businesses that would create jobs in our communities. While the program did work on some occasions, corruption in the process of drawing Empire Zone boundaries often seemed designed around political, rather than economic, goals. Further, companies were never held accountable for meeting their job creation targets, resulting in a program that gave away millions in tax dollars without getting anywhere near enough in return."
- Crime & Safety: "Recently, we have seen a disturbing increase in gang-related crimes in our cities, which must be addressed. Working with local elected officials and law enforcement, Shawn will work to address this problem through tougher enforcement of those who promote this form of organized crime, as well as developing more afterschool and community programs to give kids better alternatives to joining gangs."
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2012
|New York State Senate, District 44 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Neil Breslin Incumbent||70.9%||16,795|
Morse and his wife Brenda have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shawn + Morse + New + York + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Democrats' 2013 Drop-Off Problem - RealClearPolitics
- Colorado Secession Attempt Will Strengthen State, Says Governor John ... - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official campaign website
- Facebook campaign page
- Shawn M. Morse on Twitter
- Shawn M. Morse on LinkedIn
- Shawn M. Morse on YouTube