Sheboygan Area School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Sheboygan Area School District
Sheboygan County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
Three seats on the Sheboygan Board of Education were up for general election on April 1, 2014. Incumbents David Gallianetti, Jennifer Pothast and Larry Samet won re-election to the board without opposition.
About the districtSheboygan County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Sheboygan is home to 48,895 residents. Sheboygan Area School District is the tenth-largest school district in Wisconsin, serving 10,124 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Sheboygan underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 18.7 percent of Sheboygan residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4 percent for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Sheboygan was $42,549 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Sheboygan was 12.9 percent compared to 12.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Sheboygan Board of Education consists of nine members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Three seats are up for election each April.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Sheboygan County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- David Gallianetti
- Graduate, Lakeland College
- Director of communications, Lakeland College
- Jennifer Pothast
- Stay-at-home mom
- Larry Samet
- Graduate, Lakeland College
- Social worker, Sheboygan County Health and Human Services
|Sheboygan Area School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, April 1, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||David Gallianetti Incumbent||32.1%||1,884|
|Nonpartisan||Jennifer Pothast Incumbent||31.8%||1,868|
|Nonpartisan||Larry Samet Incumbent||30.5%||1,792|
|Source: Sheboygan County Clerk, "Contests By Reporting Unit For County Use," April 1, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Sheboygan Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county elections. Residents of Sheboygan voted for seats on the Sheboygan Common Council and Sheboygan County Board of Supervisors.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sheboygan + Area + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Sheboygan Area School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Sheboygan County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- United States Census Bureau, "Sheboygan, Wisconsin," accessed February 7, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "Wisconsin Election Results," accessed January 28, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed February 7, 2014
- Sheboygan Daily, "Local candidates set for spring election," January 16, 2014
|2014 Sheboygan Area School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • David Gallianetti • Jennifer Pothast • Larry Samet|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|