Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 11|
|January 14, 2015 - present|
|January 8, 2019|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
Hettleman's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
|“||Better Public Education
We must improve our public schools. All children must have a fair, strong chance to be prepared for college and employment. It’s in their interest and it’s in ours too, as a community and nation. Students who under-perform or drop out become alienated. Too often we lose the entrepreneurs and workers of the future, and they too often drift into criminal behavior.
Citizen and Neighborhood Participation
What any Delegate does is often determined by how the Delegate goes about doing the work. For me, the lifeblood of my campaign and my service as a Delegate will be the flow of ideas from neighborhoods and everyday citizens. Lobbyists can play a constructive role in shaping legislation. But they sometimes dominate the process, crowding out less organized and less well-placed voices.
Early Child Care and Parenting
Government is no substitute for what families should be able to do for themselves. But some families are less able than others, and children, for their own sake and for the wellbeing of our communities, must be assured a healthy, nurturing start.
Our Debt to Seniors
As a community and state, we do a lot for our seniors but not all that we should. Those who have worked so hard to create the world we enjoy and to whom we owe so much should be paid back with our love, our respect and a continuum of services that enable them to live vibrantly as they age. We are blessed that the community of seniors is increasing: the number of seniors over 85 has tripled in the last 10 years and will continue to grow dramatically. But their needs are multiplying too, and becoming more complex.
Jobs and Economic Development
Good jobs and a productive economy are at the heart of almost all the good things that we want for our families and communities. Good jobs support strong families. On the other hand, the lack of good jobs – as a result of unemployment or underemployment – causes great stress on families while depriving them of the essentials of daily life.
Protecting our Environment - Protecting Ourselves
We, our children and our children’s children are endangered by the many ways in which our air, water and land are being abused. We know that environmental risks are greater than ever and that failure to act will bring economic as well as environmental harm throughout Maryland. But the good news is that we know more about what we can do to combat the risk. Now we need the political will to do it.
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Shelly Hettleman and incumbents Dan Morhaim and Dana M. Stein defeated Don Engel, Alex B. Leikus and Theodore Levin in the Democratic primary, while Laura Harkins was unopposed in the Republican primary. Hettleman, Morhaim and Stein defeated Harkins for three seats in the general election.
In 2014, Hettleman's endorsements included:
- U.S. Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D)
- U.S. Sen. Ben Cardin (D)
- U.S. Rep. John Sarbanes (D)
- U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D)
- AFSCME Maryland
- Baltimore County Professional Fire Fighters and Paramedics, IAFF Local 1311
- CASA in Action
- EMILY’s List
- Equality Maryland
- Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance of Baltimore
- Maryland Association of REALTORS
- Maryland League of Conservation Voters
- Maryland National Organization for Women Political Action Committee
- Maryland State and District of Columbia AFL-CIO
- Northwestern Democratic Club
- Progressive Maryland
- SEIU Local 1199, Local 32 BJ & Local 400
- Sierra Club Maryland
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shelly + Hettleman + Maryland + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maryland House of Delegates - Shelly L. Hettleman
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Maryland Secretary of State - Official candidate list
- Friends of Shelly Hettleman, "On the Issues," accessed June 18, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election results for House of Delegates," accessed December 5, 2014
- Friends of Shelly Hettleman, "Endorsements," accessed June 18, 2014
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |