Shelly Wilson recall, Chatham School Board, Alaska (2007)
Petitioners urged the state to review and recall Wilson, Edward Gamble, Sr., and Irene Paul for what they called "misconduct in office, incompetence, and failure to perform prescribed duties." In June 2007, after months of testimony, a petition was submitted for the recall of all three officials. Documents revealed that the targeted officials had hired unqualified personnel violated the state open meetings act on six occasions.
On November 20, 2007, 72% of voters voted in favor of Wilson's recall.
Basis for recall
- Hiring unqualified personnel in 2006-07
- Failing to implement an evaluation system for district teachers and administrators to evaluate performance
- Violating the open meetings act
- Failing to supervise the superintendent who misused district resources in 2006-07
- Violating school board policy when she requested the head teacher change her oldest daughter’s assignments in March 2007 before consulting the classroom teacher
In August 2005, the Juneau Empire quoted Wilson as saying, "I don't feel like I'm guilty of misconduct."