|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 86|
|2005 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||October 2005|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern Mississippi, 1976|
|Master's||University of Southern Mississippi, 1981|
|J.D.||University of Mississippi, 1990|
|Birthday||October 27, 1944|
Lane earned her B.A. and M.Ed. from the University of Southern Mississippi, and J.D. from the University of Mississippi. Her professional experience includes working as an attorney, farmer, social worker, and teacher.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Lane served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Enrolled Bills|
|• Judiciary B|
|• Judiciary En Banc|
|• Medicaid, Vice Chair|
|• Ways and Means|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Lane served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Juvenile Justice, Vice Chair|
|• Judiciary B|
|• Judiciary En Banc|
|• Select Committee on Poverty|
On November 8, 2011, Lane won re-election to District 86 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. She defeated Mack Carney in the August 2 primary and defeated Republican Mark Purvis in the November 8 general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 86 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||Sherra Lane Incumbent||54.6%||4,967|
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 86 Democratic Primary, 2011|
|Sherra Lane Incumbent||74%||4,798|
On November 6, 2007, Lane was re-elected in District 86, defeating Republican challenger Albert Busby in the general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 86 (2007)|
|Sherra Lane (D)||4,612||61.37%|
|Albert Busby (R)||2,903||38.63%|
In 2011, Lane received $27,520 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Sherra Lane's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi Association For Justice||$7,745|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$5,000|
|House Democratic Victory Pac||$2,000|
|House Democratic Leadership Of Mississippi||$1,000|
|Mississippi Optometric Association||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$27,520|
|Total Votes received in 2011||4,967|
|Cost of each vote received||$5.54|
In 2007, Lane collected $36,490 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to her campaign.
|Mississippi House Democratic Leadership||$17,106|
|Lawyers Involved for Mississippi Betterment||$4,000|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$1,000|
|Brown IV, Oliver||$750|
|Percy W. Watson Re-election Campaign Fund||$500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Sherra + Lane + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Lane
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2011 Primary Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Official 2011 General Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributions to Sherra Lane
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 86
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |