|U.S. House, Texas, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Texas Women's University|
|Master's||University of Texas|
|Ph.D.||Columbus College of Public Health & Administration|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Profession||CEO, McKellar-McKellar-Ntaka and Associates, Inc.|
McKellar earned her undergraduate degrees in nursing and chemistry from Texas Women's University. She then received a master's degree from the University of Texas and a Ph.D. in nursing management from the Columbus College of Public Health & Administration. McKellar has worked in a variety of positions, including education, nursing and the military. She spent 16 years of active duty in the U.S. Army. She is currently the founder and CEO of McKellar-McKellar-Ntaka and Associates, Inc., a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization.
McKellar's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Compassionate Conservatism
- Excerpt: "I strongly believe in core Texas values - encouraging personal responsibility, compassion for others, and supporting family values. Strong families are the foundation for a prosperous and civilized community."
- Excerpt: "A good education system helps strengthen our society by teaching and instructing young adults, giving them a strong foundation that will help them learn and succeed as citizens and individuals."
- Healthcare & Retirement
- Excerpt: "We have the greatest health care system in the world. However, we must reform our health care system to make it more affordable and provide individuals access to quality medical services, regardless of race, age or medical condition. And our Senior Citizens must have a great Quality of Life (QoL) in their retirement years. "
- Homeland Security
- Excerpt: "Defending against threats to America’s security will always be one of my highest priorities in the U.S. Congress. I’m committed to ensuring that our first responders and disaster teams have the training and equipment needed to provide assistance to its residents. "
- Jobs & The Economy
- Excerpt: "The role of the government is not to create wealth, but to foster an environment where America’s entrepreneurial spirit can thrive and achieve great things. Texas and America is not broke therefore, we must get our teachers back to work. Our government is run on taxes imposed by the federal and all state governments."
- National Defense & The U.S. Military
- Excerpt: "We must always remember that our government's primary responsibility is to protect and defend the American people and advance the interests of the United States. Veterans & Military Personnel As a disabled American veteran, I am personally dedicated to looking out for the interests of all military personnel, active and retired, who call Texas home."
McKellar is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Texas' 1st District. McKellar won the Democratic nomination in the primary on March 4, 2014, with no opposition. She will face incumbent Louie Gohmert (R) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
McKellar ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Texas' 1st District. She ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on May 29, 2012. She was defeated by incumbent Louie Gohmert (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Texas District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Louie Gohmert Incumbent||71.4%||178,322|
|Democratic||Shirley J. McKellar||26.9%||67,222|
|Source: Texas Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|Shirley McKellar (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2013||$162||$0||$(0)||$162|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2013||$162||$2,145||$(2,203)||$103|
|October Quarterly||October 28, 2013||$103||$2,273||$(2,320)||$57|
|Year-End||January 14, 2014||$57||$400||$(457)||$0|
|April Quarterly||April 19, 2014||$0||$2,960||$(2,847)||$112|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2014||$112||$16,143||$(16,123)||$132|
|October Quarterly||October 17, 2014||$132||$4,917||$(2,344)||$2,706|
|U.S. House, Texas District 1, 2012 - Shirley McKellar Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$742,347|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$759,162|
|Top contributors to Shirley McKellar's campaign committee|
|Hollywood Janitorial Supplies||$2,750|
|Dallas Video & Music||$2,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Civil Servants/Public Officials||$400|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shirley + McKellar + Texas + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Texas' 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- Texas' 1st Congressional District
- Campaign website, "Biography," accessed January 13, 2014
- Campaign website, "Key Issues," accessed January 13, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County," accessed December 10, 2013
- Texas Democrats, "2012 Candidate list," accessed May 10, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "Unofficial Democratic primary results," May 29, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar April Quarterly," accessed February 4, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar July Quarterly," accessed February 4, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar October Quarterly," accessed February 4, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar Year-End," accessed February 4, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar April Quarterly," accessed May 2, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar July Quarterly," accessed July 25, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Shirley McKellar October Quarterly," accessed October 22, 2014
- Open Secrets, "Shirley McKellar 2012 Election Cycle," accessed April 2, 2013
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |