Signature requirements for ballot measures in South Dakota
|Laws • History|
|List of measures|
The number of signatures required in South Dakota is based on the number of votes cast in the most recent gubernatorial election. The most recent gubernatorial election in South Dakota was in 2010, when Dennis Daugaard (R) was re-elected. The next gubernatorial election is in November 2014. Since the number of votes cast was lower in 2010 than in 2006, the signature requirements for 2012 have been lowered.
These numbers applied to the general election on November 6th, 2012: In South Dakota, signatures are tied to the number of votes cast for the office of governor in the state's most recent gubernatorial election. For statutes or veto referendums, signatures equal to 5% of this vote are required. For constitutional amendments, signatures equal to 10% are required.
|Year||Constitutional Amendment||Statute||Veto referendum|
Basis for calculation
- See also: Laws governing recall in South Dakota
Recall of local municipal elected officials is available in South Dakota, according to Sections 13(29) through 13(35) of Chapter 9 of South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL).
§9-13-30 says that in order to qualify a recall election for the ballot, "A petition signed by fifteen percent of the registered voters of the municipality [must be submitted], based upon the total number of registered voters at the last preceding general election."
Initiative language can be submitted at any time. The maximum allowable time for circulation is one year.
- See also: Petition drive deadlines, 2014
- See also: Petition drive deadlines, 2012
- See also: Petition drive deadlines, 2010
- Ballot access requirements for political candidates in South Dakota
- States where signature requirements are based on votes cast for governor
- Laws governing the initiative process in South Dakota
- Initiatives and Referendums from the South Dakota Secretary of State
- NCSL signature chart for 2008
- South Dakota signature requirements collated by the Citizens in Charge Foundation
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |