Sioux City Community School District elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Woodbury County, Iowa ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Iowa
Three seats on the Board of Education for the Sioux City Community School District were up for election on September 10, 2013.
About the district
Sioux City underperforms in educational achievement compared to the rest of the state and median household income. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of residents with a high school degree (83.4%) is lower than the number for Iowa (90.3%). The percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher is also lower in Sioux City (19.8%) compared to the state overall (24.9%). The median household income in Sioux City is $43,158 compared to Iowa's median of $50,451.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Sioux City Community Board of Education consists of seven members elected to four-year terms. All members are elected at-large. There is no primary election for the school board election and the general election was held on September 10, 2013. Three member seats were up for election in 2013 and four member seats are on the ballot on September 8, 2015.
- Shaun Broyhill
- Graduate, Briar Cliff University
- Project Programmer/Analyst IV, Great West Casualty Company
- Audie Baughman
- Engineering manager, Merck-Organon API
- Paul Gorski
- Retired manager
- Perla Alarcon-Flory
- Graduate, Universidad Hispano Mexicana
- Income maintenance, Iowa Department of Human Services
- Owner, Alarcon-Flory Translations
- Paul Speidel
- Pastor, Westlawn Presbyterian Church
|Sioux City Community School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Woodbury County Auditor, "2013 School Election," September 12, 2013|
No candidates disclosed any campaign finance expenditures or contributions.
What was at stake?
Three seats were up for election on September 10, 2013. The board will continue to pursue its legislative action priority, which includes support of state funding of school board activities through property tax equities, equal standards between charter schools and other schools in the district, and reaffirming local control of the school board.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Iowa City Community School District election in 2013:
|July 8, 2013||First day for candidates to file with school board secretary.|
|August 1, 2013||Last day for candidates to file with school board secretary.|
|September 6, 2013||Last day to request absentee ballot by mail.|
|September 10, 2013||Election Day|
- Woodbury County, Iowa ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Iowa
- Sioux City Community School District, Iowa
- List of school districts in Iowa
- Iowa school districts
- Election preview: Iowa school board elections focus on overcoming challenges
- Post-election: Newcomers win majority of school board elections in Iowa
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Sioux City," accessed July 30, 2013
- New York Times, "Election Results," accessed July 31, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board, "Viewing Reports," accessed September 9, 2013
- Sioux City Community Schools, "2012-2013 IASB LEGISLATIVE ACTION PRIORITIES, SIOUX CITY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS," accessed July 31, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Three Election Calendar," accessed July 30, 2013