Sioux Falls School District, South Dakota
|Sioux Falls School District|
|Sioux Falls, SD|
|Superintendent:||Pamela J. Homan|
|Number of schools:||34|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Douglas C. Morrison|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Sioux Falls
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtMinnehaha County, South Dakota. According to the 2010 Census, Minnehaha County is home to 175,037 residents.
Minnehaha County outperformed in comparison to the rest of South Dakota in terms of education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.7% of Minnehaha County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.0% for South Dakota as a whole.The median household income for Minnehaha County was $52,530 compared to $49,091 for the state of South Dakota. The percentage of people below poverty level for Minnehaha County was 10.7% while it was 13.8% for the state of South Dakota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The superintendent of Sioux Falls School District is Dr. Pamela J. Homan. The school board appointed her to the position in 2004. She has been a public schools educator for 30 years and has served on various state and Governor-appointed committees for educational assessment, accountability, technology and teacher compensation. Homan received her doctoral degree from the University of South Dakota.
The Sioux Falls school board is composed of five members serving three-year terms.
|Sioux Falls School Board|
|Douglas C. Morrison||At-large||2014|
School board elections
Members of the Sioux Falls school board are elected to three-year terms. Each election is held annually between the second Tuesday in April and the third Tuesday in June. One seat was up for election in April 2014, two seats are up for election in 2015 and two seats are up for election in 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Sioux Falls school board maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
Public Participation at School Board Meetings
Persons Wishing to Address the School Board
Public Input on Agenda Items
Public Input Session
General Decorum for All Types of Meetings
If an individual does not follow the appropriate guidelines for speakers, he or she may be denied the privilege of speaking before the Board. Upon the first violation of the guidelines by an individual, such person’s privilege of speaking may be suspended for the remainder of the Board meeting at which the violation occurs. If an individual violates the guidelines a second time, the person’s privilege of speaking before the Board may be suspended for the remainder of that meeting and for the next Board meeting. If an individual violates the guidelines a third time, the length of the suspension may be at the discretion of the President, but may not exceed one year.
Notwithstanding the ability of the Board to suspend an individual’s privilege to speak before the Board, that person may always communicate with the Board in writing. 
The Sioux Falls School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Sioux Falls teacher salaries are based on years of service and educational achievement. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the current salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Sioux Falls teachers union:
|Education achievement||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA, 0-1 years||33,299||35,859|
|B.A. + 24, 0-1 years||33,299||45,183|
|MA, 0-1 years||33,299||52,305|
|MA + 24, 0-1 years||33,299||54,920|
|BA, 2-3 years||34,964||41,090|
|B.A. + 24, 2-3 years||34,964||45,183|
|MA, 2-3 years||34,964||37,652|
|MA + 24, 2-3 years||34,964||54,920|
|BA, 4-5 years||36,712||39,535|
|B.A. + 24, 4-5 years||36,712||45,183|
|MA, 4-5 years||36,712||52,305|
|MA + 24, 4-5 years||36,712||54,920|
|BA, 6-7 years||38,548||41,513|
|B.A. + 24, 6-7 years||38,548||45,183|
|MA, 6-7 years||38,548||52,305|
|MA + 24, 6-7 years||38,548||54,920|
|BA, 8-9 years||40,475||43,587|
|B.A. + 24, 8-9 years||40,475||45,183|
|MA, 8-9 years||40,475||52,305|
|MA + 24, 8-9 years||40,475||54,920|
|BA, 10+ years||42,499||45,766|
|B.A. + 24, 10+ years||42,499||45,183|
|MA, 10+ years||44,624||52,305|
|MA + 24, 10+ years||44,624||54,920|
Schools in Sioux Falls
The district served 23,522 PK-12 students during the 2013-2014 school year. The district experienced an 11.1% increase in enrollment between 2008 and 2013. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2013:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Sioux Falls School District operates 34 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Sioux Falls School District|
|Anne Sullivan Elementary School|
|Axtell Park Middle School|
|Challenge Center Elementary School|
|Cleveland Elementary School|
|Discovery Elementary School|
|Edison Middle School|
|Eugene Field A+ Elementary School|
|FIC at Jane Addams Elementary School|
|Garfield Elementary School|
|Harvey Dunn Elementary School|
|Hawthorne Hayward Elementary School|
|Horace Mann Elementary School|
|Jefferson Elementary School|
|Joe Foss Alternative School|
|John F. Kennedy (JFK) Elementary School|
|John Harris Elementary School|
|Laura B. Anderson Elementary School|
|Laura Wilder Elementary School|
|Lincoln High School|
|Longfellow Elementary School|
|Lowell Elementary School|
|Mark Twain Elementary School|
|Memorial Middle School|
|New Technology High School|
|Oscar Howe Elementary School|
|Patrick Henry Middle School|
|R.F. Pettigrew Elementary School|
|Renberg Elementary School|
|Robert Frost Elementary School|
|Roosevelt High School|
|Rosa Parks Elementary School|
|Terry Redlin Elementary School|
|Washington High School|
|Whittier Middle School|
South Dakota holds annual measurable objectives in reading and math. The latest available data is from the 2010-2011 school year. The percent of Sioux Falls School District students demonstrating proficiency in reading and math continued to exceed the annual proficiency goals set by the State for the Dakota. The District high school graduation rate was 81% in 2011 and the K-8 attendance rate was 96%. All schools met the required participation rate.
|Sioux Falls School District Proficiency 2011|
|Subject||State K-8||Grades 3-6||Grades 6-8|
|Sioux Falls School District Proficiency 2011|
|Subject||State 9-12||Grades 9-12|
201 E. 38th St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57105-5898
Phone: (605) 367-7900
|Transparency grading process|
- Administrative Officials
- Administrative officials are listed with phone numbers on department pages.
- The Staff directory lists all employees and their contact information, including personalized emails.
- Elected Officials
- School board members are listed with contact information.
- Audits are posted.
- Background Checks
- Information is available regarding background checks.
- Academic reports
- Under School Board, Reports one can find a series of academic performance reports.
- Tax revenues are broken down in the budget reports by local, state and federal funding.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the Business Manager. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Archived agendas are not available for the past three years.
- We ask that these be separate from meeting minutes, located in a specific location on the site.
- South Dakota
- South Dakota school districts
- List of school districts in South Dakota
- Sioux Falls School District elections (2014)
- School boards and school board elections
- ArgusLeader.com, Beth Wischmeyer, "Sioux Falls School District appealing graduation rate," August 28, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "2010 Census Data," accessed February 11, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Sioux Falls Development Foundation, "Homan is voice for education on SFDF board," accessed February 18, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "School Board," accessed February 18, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "Policies," accessed February 18, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Sioux Falls School District, "2014-2015 Budget Book," accessed December 15, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "Salary Schedule," accessed February 18, 2014
- South Dakota Department of Education," Student Enrollment, accessed February 18, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "Schools," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Academics," accessed February 18, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "Budgets," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Checkbook Catalogue," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Staff Directory," accessed January 29, 2013 (timed out)
- Sioux Falls School District, "School Board," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Meeting Schedule," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Minutes," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Agenda," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Audits," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Purchasing," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Payroll Schedules," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Contracts," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Background Check," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "School Board Reports," accessed January 29, 2013
- Sioux Falls School District, "Budget Books," accessed January 29, 2013
- 'Sioux Falls School District, "Public Records Policy," accessed January 29, 2013