Sioux Falls School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Sioux Falls School District
Minnehaha County, South Dakota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, South Dakota
About the districtMinnehaha County, South Dakota. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Minnehaha County is home to 175,037 residents. Sioux Falls School District is the largest school district in South Dakota, serving 21,390 students during the 2010-2011 school year.
Minnehaha County outperformed in comparison to the rest of South Dakota in terms of education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.7% of Minnehaha County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.0% for South Dakota as a whole.The median household income for Minnehaha County was $52,530 compared to $49,091 for the state of South Dakota. The percentage of people below poverty level for Minnehaha County was 10.7% while it was 13.8% for the state of South Dakota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Sioux Falls school board consists of five members elected to three-year terms at-large. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on January 31, 2014. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was February 28, 2014.
- Douglas C. Morrison
- Graduate, University of South Dakota
- Chief Financial Officer
- Roger Russell
- Graduate, Pro-Ed Professional Education
|Sioux Falls School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Douglas C. Morrison Incumbent||56.4%||12,161|
|Source: City of Sioux Falls, "Election Results," accessed June 3, 2014|
No candidate received any endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the South Dakota Secretary of State.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Sioux Falls School Districts election in 2014:
|January 31, 2014||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy and withdraw candidacy|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|March 24, 2014||Early and absentee voting begins|
|April 1, 2014||Campaign finance report (pre-election) due|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
|April 14, 2014||Canvass election results|
|May 20, 2014||Campaign finance report (post-election) due|
|July 14, 2014||Elected person takes office|
Additional elections on the ballot
A mayoral election, two at-large city council member elections, the Central District council member election and the Southeastern District council member election were on the ballot with the school board election on April 8, 2014.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sioux + Falls + School + District + South + Dakota"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- United States Census Bureau, "2010 Census Data," accessed February 11, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "School Board," accessed February 11, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "2014 Election Timeline," accessed February 11, 2014 (timed out)
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Donation Search," accessed February 11, 2014
- City of Sioux Falls, "2014 Municipal Election Information," accessed February 12, 2014
|2014 Sioux Falls School District Elections|
|Sioux Falls, South Dakota|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-Large: • Douglas C. Morrison • Roger Russell|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|