Sioux Falls School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Sioux Falls School District
Minnehaha County, South Dakota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, South Dakota
About the districtSouth Dakota in Minnehaha County. The county seat of Minnehaha County is Sioux Falls. Minnehaha County is home to 179,640 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Sioux Falls School District was the largest school district in South Dakota and served 22,827 students.
Minnehaha County outperformed the rest of South Dakota in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 29.2 percent of Minnehaha County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.2 percent for South Dakota as a whole. The median household income in Minnehaha County was $52,345 compared to $47,380 for the state of South Dakota. The poverty rate in Minnehaha County was 10.9 percent compared to 14.1 percent for the entire state.
Note: Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" percentage, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off. Read more about race and ethnicity in the Census here.
Method of board member selection
The Sioux Falls school board consists of five members elected to three-year terms at-large. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on January 31, 2014. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was February 28, 2014.
- Douglas C. Morrison
- Graduate, University of South Dakota
- Chief Financial Officer
- Roger Russell
- Graduate, Pro-Ed Professional Education
|Sioux Falls School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Douglas C. Morrison Incumbent||56.4%||12,161|
|Source: City of Sioux Falls, "Election Results," accessed June 3, 2014|
No candidate received any endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the South Dakota Secretary of State.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Sioux Falls School Districts election in 2014:
|January 31, 2014||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy and withdraw candidacy|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|March 24, 2014||Early and absentee voting begins|
|April 1, 2014||Campaign finance report (pre-election) due|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
|April 14, 2014||Canvass election results|
|May 20, 2014||Campaign finance report (post-election) due|
|July 14, 2014||Elected person takes office|
Additional elections on the ballot
A mayoral election, two at-large city council member elections, the Central District council member election and the Southeastern District council member election were on the ballot with the school board election on April 8, 2014.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sioux + Falls + School + District + South + Dakota"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- United States Census Bureau, "Minnehaha County, South Dakota," accessed February 24, 2015
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Search for historical election data," accessed February 24, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "School Board," accessed February 11, 2014
- Sioux Falls School District, "2014 Election Timeline," accessed February 11, 2014 (timed out)
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Donation Search," accessed February 11, 2014
- City of Sioux Falls, "2014 Municipal Election Information," accessed February 12, 2014
|2014 Sioux Falls School District Elections|
|Sioux Falls, South Dakota|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-Large: • Douglas C. Morrison • Roger Russell|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|