|Alabama State Senate District 15|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Montevallo|
|Birthday||June 14, 1963|
|Place of birth||Missouri|
|(Archived) Campaign website|
Blackwell earned his B.S. in Commercial Design and Business from the University of Montevallo. After college, Blackwell worked for as the acquisitions and development manager for Colonial Properties Trust. He then started his own real estate development business, Inkana Development, in 1996.
Blackwell served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Banking and Insurance Committee Chair
- Confirmations Committee
- Education Committee
- Finance and Taxation Education Committee
- Health Committee
- Job Creation and Economic Development Committee
- Local Legislation No. 2 Committee
- Transportation Committee, Alabama State Legislature
Blackwell's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Economic Development
- Excerpt: "Economic development equals jobs; jobs equal family-sustaining wages and tax revenue that leads to more prosperity for our area and state."
- Smoking Ban
- Excerpt: "I think it is time people start showing some personal responsibility in taking care of themselves. Let the customer and the owner make the decision about smoking in the restaurant-government has enough to deal with today."
- Electronic Bingo
- Excerpt: "I am personally against electronic bingo plus all other forms of gambling and the corruption it breeds."
- County Commission Relations
- Excerpt: "I believe a stronger relationship between the County Commissioners and our State Legislators would be a step in the right direction toward finding resolutions to issues affecting our District and State. "
- Solving the Jefferson County Sewer Crisis
- Excerpt: "I have worked hard to help find a solution to the Jefferson County sewer crisis... This is one of the main reasons I’m running for the District 15 Senate seat."
- Excerpt: "Education is at the forefront of my agenda and support for our schools is a top priority. Furthermore, it affects every single aspect of our ability to live well now and into the future. "
- Campaign Finances
- Excerpt: "Alabama definitely should ban PAC to PAC transfers. Such transfers promote hiding funds and make it difficult to discover who is actually contributing to candidates and their causes. "
- Excerpt: "Raising taxes is counterproductive to a stable economy, and I stand firmly against it."
- Sales Tax on Food
- Excerpt: "I support a reduction in government spending and removal of the sales tax on food."
- Constitutional Reform
- Excerpt: "In a state facing corruption at almost all level of government, a convention to re-write Alabama's Constitution at this time would be extremely difficult... There are major changes that need to be made, and I support amending or repealing specific sections of the Constitution."
- Ethics and Values
- Excerpt: "We need men and women with the courage to act on their own convictions; we need independent thinkers who place their principles and values above party politics..."
- Excerpt: "I am a Conservative Christian and oppose abortion. Simply put, I believe in the sanctity of life and that it should be protected."
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2013. Incumbent Slade Blackwell is unopposed in the Republican primary.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Across the country in 2010, state senate elections were held in 43 states. 1,167 state senate seats were at stake. In all 1,167 state senate districts with an election in 2010, only 19 challengers (12 Democrats and 7 Republicans) defeated an incumbent state senator. Blackwell is one of the 7 Republican challengers who defeated an incumbent Republican state senator.
|Alabama State Senate, District 15 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Slade Blackwell (R)||14,165|
|Steve French (R)||9,606|
In 2010, Blackwell raised $944,265 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Associated Builders & Contractors Of Alabama||$108,700|
|Blackwell, John G||$75,500|
In 2010, Blackwell's endorsements included the following:
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
Blackwell and his wife, Sally, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Slade + Blackwell + Alabama + Senate". Because the results are from a google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator. Slade Blackwell News Feed
- Slade Blackwell's campaign website (Archived)
- Slade Blackwell's personal website
- Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Slade Blackwell on Facebook
- Slade Blackwell on Twitter
- Slade Blackwell's campaign website, The Issues (Archived)
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Republican Primary results
- Statewide general election results (Archived), accessed December 13, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
|Alabama State Senate District 15
| Succeeded by|