Smith County, Texas
- The current budget is published.
- The names and contact information for all county commissioners is provided.
- County commissioner meeting agendas and minutes are published.
- Audit reports are published.
- Contract bid information is published.
- Information on public records is provided.
- Tax rate information is provided.
- Administrative officials are listed under respective departments.
- There is no information on building permits and zoning, and lobbying.
Counties in Texas do not have building permit and zoning authority for residential and commercial buildings. Texas Counties have limited authority over the location of sexually-oriented businesses and salvage yards. Giving Texas Counties a bad grade over something they have no statutory control over is unfair.
Smith County Texas does pay dues to the Texas Association of Counties - which is a lobbyist group.
Checkbook register online
On September 9, 2008, the Smith County Commissioner's Court unanimously approved putting its general fund check register and its Road and Bridge Department check register online as part of the checkbook register online movement.
- Smith County website
- Smith County Judicial Records Search
- Online Directory of Texas - Smith County
- Public Records Directory - Smith County
- Smith County on E-Reference