South-Western City Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
South-Western City Schools
Franklin County, Ohio ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Ohio
About the district
- See also: South-Western City Schools, Ohio
In terms of graduation rate and average household income, Franklin County overperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 89.3% compared to 87.8% statewide. The average household income was $50,045 compared to $48,071 in the entire state. Franklin County underperformed in terms of poverty rate with 17.4%, while the poverty rate for Ohio was 14.8%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Franklin County (%)||Ohio (%)|
|Hispanic or Latino||5.0||3.3|
|Two or More Races||2.9||2.0|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The South-Western City School Board is composed of five members that are elected at-large. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the South-Western City School Board must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service.
Three candidates declared their intentions to run for the three at-large seats on the South-Western City School Board.
- Karen Dover
- Graduate, Franklin University
- Chief Financial Officer of Crosslink Management Services
- Cathy Johnson
- Lee Schreiner
- Retired educator
|South-Western City Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Cathy Johnson Incumbent||34.6%||6,258|
|Nonpartisan||Lee Schreiner Incumbent||33.1%||5,997|
|Nonpartisan||Karen Dover Incumbent||32.3%||5,842|
|Source: Franklin County Board of Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Franklin County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
What was at stake?
Three candidates went unopposed for three at-large seats on the South-Western City School Board on November 5, 2013. All three incumbents filed for re-election.
The following dates were key deadlines for the South-Western City Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for City nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "South-Western + City + Schools + Ohio"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- South-Western City Schools
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Franklin County, Ohio ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Ohio
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Franklin County," accessed October 21, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 20, 2013
- Franklin County Democratic Party, "2013 Franklin County Democratic Party Endorsements," accessed October 21, 2013
- Official Republican Slate Card, "Endorsed Republican Candidates," accessed October 29, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 26, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 20, 2013