South Carolina Director of Natural Resources
|South Carolina Director of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$80,941,407|
|Authority:||South Carolina Code, Section 48-4-10|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governing board|
|Name:||Alvin A. Taylor|
|Assumed office:||December 8, 2011|
|Other South Carolina Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Comptroller • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Adjutant General • Inspector General • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources was organized on July 1, 1994. It combined the former state wildlife and marine resources department, water resources commission (non-regulatory programs), land resources commission (non-regulatory programs), state geological survey (state geologist) and migratory waterfowl committee.
The current officeholder is Alvin A. Taylor. On December 8, 2011, the seven-member South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Board named Taylor acting director of the department. He became its permanent director March 17, 2012.
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources is established in Section 48-4-10 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
|The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources is created to administer and enforce the laws of this State relating to wildlife, marine resources, and natural resources and other laws specifically assigned to it...|
There are no specific qualifications for director of natural resources.
In the event of a vacancy the position is filled by the governing board upon the advice and consent of the state senate.
- See Energy policy in South Carolina for information on the state's energy portfolio and goals.
The director is responsible for managing the state's land and water conservation and marine and wildlife resources. Duties are carried out through the work of these boards and commissions:
- Geological Survey of the Research and Statistical Division of the Budget and Control Board
- State Land Resources Conservation Commission
- South Carolina Migratory Waterfowl Commission
- Water Resources Commission
- South Carolina Wildlife and Marine Resources Commission
The department is organized into the following main divisions:
- Executive Office
- Land, Water and Conservation
- Law Enforcement
- Marine Resources
- Outreach and Support Services
- Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries
- See also: South Carolina state budget and finances
The budget for the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2012-2013 was $80,941,407.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the South Carolina Director of Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "South Carolina Director Natural Resources."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
Rembert C. Dennis Building
1000 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC 29201
- Natural Resources Commissioner
- South Carolina state executive offices
- South Carolina state executive officials
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- SCDNR on Facebook
- SCDNR on Twitter
- SCDNR's channel on YouTube
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, "Director, SC Department of Natural Resources, Alvin A. Taylor," accessed April 28, 2015
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, "History," accessed January 18, 2013
- South Carolina Code of Laws," Title 48, Chapter 4," accessed January 18, 2013
- South Carolina Budget and Control Board, "Current Budget Plans FY 2013-2014," accessed April 9, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 8, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 29, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed April 23, 2011